A little venting at Home Depot...

I had to go to one of the local Home Depots the other day, well I didn't actually have to but it was on the way home and I needed the stuff and I knew that they'd have it and besides the girl who sells hotdogs outside is kinda cute but I digress...

For those in the Los Angeles area this is the store on San Fernando road in the city of Glendale, one of the worst stores to visit in my experience, small, crowded, understocked and understaffed even more than usual.

Anyway, for whatever reason the place was packed, this was at about 3pm on a weekday, don't these people have jobs....?

I pick up the 2 things I need and head to the cashier...and that's where the fun started. This store has 14 checkout lanes including 4 of the "self-serve" ones plus a commercial account desk and an extra register in the "tool corral", now guess how many of these registers were actually being staffed?

2...and at least one of the self-service machines was broken with no sign on it indicating as such. Of course there was the obligatory employee out side the exit door checking reciepts as people left. Does anyone other than me refuse to stop for that crap? "If you think I stole something, you better have some proof and you better go ahead and arrest me cause I ain't stopping so you can "check my receipt" lady." But I digress.

The lines were at least 12 people deep, so long that guys using the lumber carts had to leave extra space between them so people could get thru the store...the tool corral line was in 2 different places and heading for a showdown as people who thought that they were in line found out that they weren't.

People were walking up and seeing the space left by the lumber cart guys they assumed that that meant the line ended there and so they'd try to take up residence, which made for some interesting confrontations.

While all this was going on, there were 2 cashiers standing a bit down from the registers trying to entice unwary shoppers to sign up for an inhouse credit card, when the second one hit me up for an account I said I'd like one but was afraid I'd never be able to find a cashier to accept it, he sorta mumbled some thing and wandered off to try and sell an appliance.

After waiting for about 10 minutes in line with virtually no movement I got on my cel phone, got the manager of the store on the line and asked him why in the hell wasn't he out front helping to clear some of these customers out of the store...he babbled a bit about about using the self-serve registers, that was when I told him that at least one of those wasn't working either...

Well long story slightly shorter, I eventually made it to the cash register only to find my favorite appliance salesman had actually been told to do something and he was now working the register, he tried his best to make me his buddy but all I said was that he should have been helping people a half hour earlier, paid my bill and left.

The hot dog was very tasty and the can of soda was cold and I didn't have to wait for the pretty girl to ring me up.

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

Reply to
John Emmons

Ever consider not letting these things bother you?

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

yeah I have but then I'd have nothing to write these little stories about. The only thing that "bothered" me was the complete lack of any understanding of customer service. If I ran my business like that, I'd be out of business as I should be.

It's all part of the loss of simple consideration for others that plagues this world we live in.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

You just described about 95% of all Home Depots in the L.A. area!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

An the arrogance these big box stores and their management have that customers don't matter. However, I did hear the CEO of Wally World say on TV the other day, that for every customer they lose, they potentially lose $200,000 in future sales.

Reply to
Gary
[snip]

Ah, the pretty girl. Now if I could just remember why they were so interesting... j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Yes, a lot of honest people feel that way. Problem is, there are too many dis-honest ones that makes it a necessity in some areas. Considering the cost of having a guard at the door, they would not do it unless thee was a payback. I know the one at our BJ's store has a half dozen gold starts from catching a few big ones. I see it getting even worse in the future.

Good ploy. I refuse to use the self checkout until they offer me a 5% discount.

The trip was not a total waste.

Worth thinking about next time you are standing in line getting pissed off. Retail is getting worse with service all the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Next time skip the hardware and just get the hot dogs.

Reply to
bucketofspam

Well, he stood in line the whole time, didn't he? Shows it

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

When this happens to me, unless I REALLY NEED the stuff, I will abandon my cart or basket where I stand and walk out.

Reply to
EXT

I have done this more than once. I usually point this fact out in a loud voice as I pass the cashier too. I let them know that the service was intolorable.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Do you think a $6.50 /hr. cashier gives a rat's ass about service??

Reply to
gw

abandon my

Reminds me of a story my Dad loved to tell - he bought a can of custom color paint and then got pissed off about standing in line, so he walked out in disgust.

After he chilled out, he went back the next day, and saw his paint in the "error" section. He bought it for a fraction of what he would have paid the previous day. He had no guilt, given the crap he used to go through.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Yes, while venting at the cashier is an understandable reaction, it's a turn on the "shooting the messenger" syndrome. The place to complain is to management. Almost always the actual worker bees are doing the best they can in a usually nearly intolerable situation...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In those situations, I usually call the 800 number that's on the wall behind the cashiers. You know the one....the one saying it is the number for customer service....

It's pretty amazing to watch the folks come out of the office like a swarm of angry bees after you've told the person on the phone that you have $5000 worth of merchandise you want to buy and can't find anyone (ok...so it was a little white lie) to take your money....

Only had to do it once....ever since then the local HD has been very good about keeping cashiers on-line and the lines short.

bill W

Reply to
wildbill

Well no different here in NY/NJ. I simply go at 7:30am Mon-Sun. or after

7:00pm Mon-Thur.

After standing in line for what appears Hours one Sat.! One of the products didn't have a SKU# or Barcode. So they put me to the side and paged the department for a price check.... I went and got a hotdog and drink finished both, walked back to the tools to look over a planer, then got the SKU# and still nobody had showed up from that area....

Lowes is much Better in this area for sure..... Infact I will drive 15 miles out of my way and pass 3 Home Depots to go to a Lowes. HD simply carries tools like Rigid that I buy...

But Lowes isn't perfect I got jerked around trying to get help on finding a router bit and was blown off by the woman handling Cabinets!

WHAT I DID FIND was that in Pricing, I went to 3 Home Depots (2 the same day)and with exact detailed drawings. I was given 3 prices all close to

3,555.00.

Went to Home Expo $3,100.00 and a free 6 sqft piece! Go Figure!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Ever consider not letting these things bother you?

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

I have a friend who is a cashier at a H/D in SoCal.

The conditions you describe do exist because those are the procedures to be used as given by the headquarters operation in Atlanta.

Why do they do it?

It is less costly to warehouse customers than it is to pay cashiers.

My friend says working at H/D these days is a very stressful situation at best, but an individual employee is unable to do anything about it.

BTW, warehousing customers appears to be practiced these days by almost every supermarket and big box retail operation in existence.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You hit the nail on the head. Most of these employees don't give a %&$& about customer service -- they get paid no matter what.

Reply to
Jerry

Hell, at least she was doing *something*! At Lowe's, a loafer stands by the front door to say "hello" and another one stands at the exit not even saying, "goodbye!" Meanwhile, the checkout lines stretch for miles.

Reply to
Dhakala