A little surprised... fww

Just received my fww tools and shops issue.
Was anyone else surprised that there were no reader letters regarding the article generally judged to be the worst in recent memory (the clamp and glue "the science is way over your head so just trust me on it" article)?
Given the amout and type of reaction it got here and in other forums, I was very surprised. Maybe next month.
jc
Maybe they got hit with so many they are still going through the pile. I know mine is in there. Let's see if they put something in the next issue before we cancel.
Charley

Not at all. Letters usually have to include details or corrections for publishing. I doubt they'd publish "That was a really dumb" article letters. <G>
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:26:17 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

That's what I like about newsgroups. You get uncensored opinions. I like FWW, but wood magazines are not my favorite source for woodworking ideas, techniques, or news.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

But it wasn't really dumb. From the articles he's published elsewhere it looks like for maximum strength you need clamping pressure that is a particular fraction of the crush strength of the wood.
Given that hard maple has a high crush strength, this means that max glue bond requires very high clamping force.
Of course, the article fails to cover the minimum clamping force to achieve *reasonable* bond strengths, which is all that most woodworkers will ever need.
Note that Franklin recommends up to 250psi for hardwoods with titebond III. For a 1" thick by 5" long panel glue up, this would mean fifteen thousand pounds of force. 7.5 tons!
That's roughly 14 Bessey K-bodies, a dozen Jorgensen heavy-duty F-clamps, or at least three heavy-duty steel I-beam clamps.
Chris
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:02:13 -0600, Chris Friesen

I actually didn't see it. I was only responding to the letters question based on what I read here.