A Little Ingenuity Saves the Back!

Page 2 of 2
On 7/26/2014 9:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Here you go. HF to the rescue: http://www.harborfreight.com/t-post-lifter-38444.html
On 7/28/14, 8:12 AM, jo4hn wrote:

Right. I saved 30 bucks and a trip. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/28/14, 8:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

My buddy and I came up with ours in about 10 minutes. The trip to HF would be thrice that long, plus I'd now have to store that thing. (I hate uni-taskers.) Somewhere the line would've been crossed at which I would buy one, perhaps 50? But I was done with the job in the time it would've taken me to get to HF and back.
--

-MIKE-

BUT - it's only good for lifting "T" posts. A Jack-all will pull ANY post, and jack up your pickup truck, and stretch your fence, and - and - and.
RE: Subject
Given some bottle jacks and enough cribbing, you can move the planet.
Watch a longshoreman at work some time.
Lew
On 7/26/2014 9:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I much prefer my loader.
Steve

And with downpressure on an industrial loader you can reseat "floaters" too. Friend's farm is on top of a hill - hydrogeological dome. It's one big spring underneath - building concrete sealed silo they had to put twice as much concrete under ground (concrete boat) to float the silo as was used in the silo. Every spring he needs to push half the wood fence posts back into the ground - one advantage of steel posts is they don't "float".
On 7/26/2014 9:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not as much fun as a little C-4.     ;-)

A 2x, placed at a 45-degree angle from the post down to the ground does the same thing. It has to be blocked at the top and the bottom has to be braced against the ground, though. The jack sounds a lot easier, though.

Screw/scissors jacks don't leak, either. Bumper jacks take up more trunk (or back seat) space and are dangerous (all jacks are dangerous but nothing like a bumper jack). As has been noted here, modern bumpers wouldn't survive a bumper jack if you tried. In short, good riddance.
On 8/2/14, 9:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

My comments are referring to post pulling, The bumper jack will give you several feet of travel before repositioning.
As far as car jacking, given a bumper that accepts a bumper jack, the only advantage (in my mind) is not having to crawl on the ground to position a bottle or screw jack. Beyond that, bumper jacks are freaking unstable on anything but a solid surface. In a 4x4 the advantage of a bumper jack is you often need several feet of travel to unload the suspension before the wheel leaves the ground.
-BR
--- ---
On 8/3/2014 9:38 AM, Brewster wrote:

And better than a bumper jack for length is a Rail Road jack - it is 6' long! Those will jack up a SUV when over some rocks and has strength to do it. The only issue is finding one. Some have Tractor jacks almost the same. Tall ones. Tractor sales or third party tractor sales.
Martin
On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:42:49 -0500, Martin Eastburn

These work well. http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_00_07.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA