A little bit OT

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:01:39 -0400, Kevin B wrote:

I agree with buy used. The depreciation on a new vehicle is so great it is a crime. You lose several thousand dollars as soon as you drive it off the lot. A diesel makes a lot of sense with todays fuel costs. You will not believe the fuel economy you get with diesel compared with gas, if you haven't had one before. I also agree with the Dodge Diesel. Everyone that I have known or talked to that has had a Cummins diesel has raved about it and loved it.
P.T.
http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

That used to make sense if you can pay cash. Typically, financed used vehicles have interest rates that are 50% higher than those of new vehicles. In the last 3 to 4 years it has been a new car buyers market in Houston.

Probably true, unless you can get a "new car loan" on a recent-model used car - I managed that on my last vehicle, a 3-yr old Pontiac Vibe (made by Toyota, btw). When I bought it, the bank said their "new car" rates would apply to 2003 and newer models - perfect. New car loan rate for a reasonably-priced used car, all from my local credit union - can't beat that! Might be worth looking into, anyway. Andy

Typically used vehicle is a bigger risk for the lender. It's kinda surprising that you got a good rate from you credit union, but then again maybe not. I would imagine the typical bank would not be so good.
you folks can talk down the Ford all you want. but i've been driving them since 1979 bought my first new one, bought another new in 86 and 90 , put in excess of 200,000 on each one of them with no major troubles. bought my last one used with 140,000 on it 1994 model purchased in 2003 paid $3000. and still driving it today, now has 224,000 miles on it and running fine, starting to show a little rust at the rocker panels. all these trucks have been 4x4 and well used as such as i've been a logger and log buyer here in the northland, so my trucks have seen alot of off road use not just highway miles. buy american trucks and sell logs to the Japs. keeps the trade deficit down. ross www.highislandexport.com

Obviously many people like Ford trucks. There are simply better choices out there these days. As for the trade deficit, in recent history the only time that the US had a trade surplus was when the US was in the middle of the great depression. Many economists agree, it is better to owe than to be owed.
Sun, Mar 18, 2007, 7:01pm From: snipped-for-privacy@tNOSPAMtwogeeks.org (KevinB) <snip> Anybody have any opinions on the F-150, or any other full sizepickup for that matter? Suggestions?
Yep. '49 to '56 Ford pickup, 500 Cadillac engine for preference, or a 460 Ford engine. Learn to drive winter roads.
JOAT Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with no heavy lifting.

Ewwwwww; a FORD??
Toyota Tundra.
No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
The second-generation Tundra is a FULL-sized pickup and every bit as American-built as Ford.
Come to Rochester MN and I'll introduce you to Arlyn Ness of Rochester Toyota, one of the best salesmen on the Toyota sales force. A new vehicle salesman that I *like* -- a FIRST for me . . . .
-Don
--
Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak

It seems to me that Toyota salesmen are some of the best. They've been happy to talk with me, and have taken the time to answer questions and just be conversational. There's been no "Oh, you're not buying today, I'm [you're] wasting your [my] time then."
Puckdropper

I would get a small truck and buy a trailer that you can tow whenever you need to make a lumber pick up. That's the route I went. Very happy!
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
... snip

I've been pretty satisfied with my 97 F-150 (I've got 93k miles on it now and have had no major problems).
That said, I'm going to be looking at Toyota Tundra next time (hopefully that's still about 10 more years away). While I haven't had any major problems with the Ford, I haven't been impressed with the newer models.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:01:39 -0400, "Kevin B"

I researched every truck available before I bought mine (four weeks ago)
My criteria pushed me to a Toyota Tacoma DC prerunner. However, the full size truck I really liked was the new (not classic) Chevrolet or GMC extended cab, 5.3L iron block version. Great features, great warranty, great (comparitively speaking) fuel economy and plenty of tow and carrying capacity.
Now that the classics have been mostly cleared out, deals can be made on the new version.
Frank

Agreed, I think most of the new trucks today are trying to appeal to the guy that wants to look macho. Chevrolet and GMC still have a relatively low tailgate, bed and bed sides. I went to the auto show in Houston in January and was turned off by many of the new full sized pick ups because they set so high that lifting anything over the side of the bed is almost out of the question and I am 6' tall.

Maybe, my son works for a Chevrolet dealer in Houston and is still receiving and putting into inventory the Old Style "2007" pick ups. I don't get it personally. Both new and old style are being manufactured as 07 models. The latest body style does not use the same front end suspension as what GM has used for decades. The latest having an automobile style McPherson Strut hopefully will hold up.
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:22:24 GMT, "Leon"

Remember the 2003 (or was it '04? <G>) F150?
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:22:24 GMT, "Leon"

My local chevy dealer said that the "classics" stopped production in November. Don't know if that is true, your son could probably confirm. I checked regional inventory a month or so ago and most dealers were down to just a couple with no more coming in.
I guess their inventory position was too high to write off the "classic" parts inventory, or maybe they did not think they could fill the pipeline with the new model fast enough. It was confusing when I tried to evaluate trucks.
I was after fuel economy with reasonable tow and carry capacity and the Tacoma, configured as I bought it, hit that button perfectly. And based on early results, I'm getting better than expected fuel economy. But I think the new GM is a clear winner in the full size category.
Frank

You never know. I thought the old style was done also but my son receives the vehicle inventory by computer and told me that the Classics were still being built. Chevrolet still shows the Classic being available on their web site with the ability to build and price on online. http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado / Scroll down a little to get to the 2007 Classic.
GMC still offers the Sierra Classic also.

Well they have to offer the parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued.
It was confusing when I

My next truck will be probably be a Toyota if my son is not still working for the Chevrolet dealer when I buy again. Although I have a GM credit card and I accrue $3500 off my best deal with the dealer every 7 years. I bought my current truck that way. It's nice to make your best deal and then have them take $3500 off of that.
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:18:35 GMT, "Leon"

told that I could only get an in stock unit, it was out of production since novemeber. I checked local dealer(s) stock for a month or so and there were no new arrivals.
I used the web site to configure, but was told ordering was impossible on the classics.

And the car companies wonder why they are loosing out to the Japanese.
Leon wrote:

Yeah ... it's really confusing how that could be. Other than totally misreading the market (hey guys ... high gas prices are here to STAY), and off-shoring the lions share of their production, they seem to be doing everything right.
Bah humbug ... I shop the international market just like they do. Last new car I had that was anything to write home about was my Geo Metro. Still have it in the garage.
Bill
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make