A little bit OT

Page 1 of 2
Folks, Over the last couple of years I've come to regard my Toyota Tacoma as my most essential tool. I've hauled dozens of sheets of plywood, hundreds of 2x4s, and probably close to 700 board feet of hardwood. Unfortunately, the Nor'easter here in MA this last Friday had me skidding of the road into a ditch, wrecking my Tacoma. No other cars involved and I was only going about 35 mph at the time. If the shoulder had been level with the road my truck might have escaped unharmed. Anyway, the good news, as many of you have already figured out, is that I get to buy a new pickup. HOTDAMN! So this time I'm going for a full size pickup and I'm thinking of an new F-150. Anybody have any opinions on the F-150, or any other full size pickup for that matter? Suggestions?
Regards,
K.

Ford??? You've had a Toyota and you're considering a FORD?!? Sheesh. In my opinion, that's like wrecking a nice Powermatic table saw, and then seizing the opportunity to get the nice new cabinet saw from Harbor Freight. Just because it's shiny and new and looks good on paper won't make it a better saw. Stick with what works. Toyotas are just as "American" as anything else now. Andy (Remember - opinions are like butts - everyone has one, and most of them stink...)

my
about
that
My opinion is buy used. Several reasons for this are it is cheaper. If you can get by without the new car smell, and are flexible about options and colors, you get a whole lot more bang for the buck.
If you buy a new one you got a serious depreciation in the first few years, and that is paid for with borrowed money, even if you borrow from yourself, the money you spend is not available to buy tools or continue to grow for your investments.
BTW dodge makes a nice diesel lots of power and great fuel economy. Cummins engine is better then the Toyota, Ford or Chevy.
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:
> BTW dodge makes a nice diesel lots of power and great fuel economy. Cummins > engine is better then the Toyota, Ford or Chevy.
THe engine in the Dodge comes from a joint venture in Rocky Mount.
It is a whole different animal than a Cummins from Columbus.
Lew

Perhaps, but the power plant has a good track record.
--
Roger Shoaf
Why is it Ford & Chevy are closing plants, and Toyota is opening them, Jan. saw an assembly open in S.A. Tx. Then Two week ago, starting another in Miss. I too have a Tacoma, 8 yo, 235000 mi. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I think you should buy that "Find On Road Dead".

*snip and trim*
Ford and Chevy are still selling power. AFAIK, they have nothing to compare to Toyota's offerings of gas mileage and design. IMO, the Prius's competition is the Yarus. Ok, so you can't get plywood in either...
Another interesting thing I noticed was that all the minivans on fueleconomy.gov were rated for just about the same 20 mpg.
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@tNOSPAMtwogeeks.org says...

No opinions on cars or pickups. I have, however an opinion on decks. The deck, extending through the tailboard, needs to be wider than 4'; preferably 4'2" or 4'4". Makes transporting sheets soooooo much easier.
I guess your 'full sized pickups' would probably meet that ...
-P.
Kevin B wrote:

You need to get your fluids checked, you are at least a quart low.
I have dealt with the American automotive industry almost all of my adult life.
As a result, drove American made vehicles and suffered what was the expected maintenance and repair problems.
Bought a Tacoma in 1999, now has 115,000 miles on it.
Changed the oil and filters every 3,000 miles, got a tune up at 90,000, bought maybe 6 tires, nothing else.
My understanding that is very common performance for Toyota products.
With that kind of a track record, about the only decision you need to make is what color Toyota do you want?
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Yeah, buddy! My next truck, when the current Dodge RAM loses favor, will be a used 2 or 3 year old Toyota Tundra, if I can find one ... I can guarantee that.
The Dodge has been OK, but it won't pass up a gas station.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Isn't the Toyota Tundra full sized?

Yes. My nephew is a service avisor at one of the biggie Toyota dealerships in Kansas and races a Tundra..with a factory approved supercharger. He gets better mileage than an off-the-shelf F 150 Ford with waaaay more power available at his wish. That truck is some tough. Looks great too.
I am in the market for a couple of Dodge Sprinters, in a couple of years we'll find them used. When reasonably maintained they're a 500.000 km van. (All Mercedes parts) In fact, you can buy, for around $ 250.00 US a grille and some hubcap plugs which are Mercedes and fit perfectly. The Sprinter IS a MB. 5 cyl turbo diesel.
<...snipped...>

Just FYI, the Sprinter is also available through Freightliner, another US company that Daimler bought a few years ago. In fact, it was available as a Freightliner a year or 2 before Dodge started selling them. The only differences are a few cosmetic items.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:43:25 GMT, Lobby Dosser

The '07 is so full-sized that Toyota dealers were required to get at least one new lift in the service bays before they could have any to sell. Seriously! <G>
I've loved my Tacomas, which were built in Fremont, CA in a former GM plant that also builds the Pontiac Vibe: <http://www.nummi.com/
I think I'd give the new Tundra a year for beta testing, but I'll offer an anecdotal side story about why Toyota seems to be gaining market share:
I bought an early 2005 Tacoma, three months into the redesigned model's production. The early production '05's had three notable defects, a cowl water leak, cab mounts that are too short, and noisy rear springs. Mine was late enough to miss the leak, but it had the cab mounts and noisy springs. The cab mounts created a condition where it sounded like someone was kicking the floor of the cab when I went over potholed roads.
I brought it it for the "kick noise"... This was actually a pretty minor noise that lots of people might say, "It's a pickup, turn up the radio", etc... What did I get? No games, no "they all do it" (which they did! <G>), just an appointment to fix it _right_. The repair, a 4-6 hour procedure, involved jacking the cab off the frame to replace all six cab mounts. When I picked it up, I mentioned the squeaky rear springs in passing. The service manager himself walked outside, sprayed some aerosol lube on them, walked me back into the dealership, and ordered the replacement springs. In about 4 days, the springs arrived and I had a repair appointment.
Never did I do anything more than ask about the problem! No bitching, no threatening to call "corporate", and no hard feelings. Both times I got service surveys from Toyota, and I couldn't give them enough praise. This was the first time I'd ever dealt with the dealership, who also sold it to me for a very fair price with no games or BS. All three of the issues were fixed on future trucks with running engineering changes on the line. The affected serial numbers and build dates are clearly noted on the pay-access Toyota technical web site. Every body screws up sometime. Reputable operations put the rubber to the road when they have to. I have no doubt that this is a manufacturer that clearly WANTS to be #1, and not just with a silly "mission statement"!
I HATE spending big bucks on cars, but two years later, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a more satisfying, perfect vehicle than this Tacoma. I can see me driving it even longer than the '85 that I put 305,000 miles on.
On the flip side, my 1999 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) had the identical rear brake slave cylinder issues as my 1989 Wrangler (YJ)! <G>
If anyone wants the Connecticut dealership's name, email me. I don't want to be accused of shilling. <G>

Since this is easy money for the Dealer, most dealers jump at the chance of selling warranty work to the manufacturer.
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:41:45 GMT, "Leon"

I always thought so too, until I needed it on my Subaru and Jeeps. <G>
wrote:>

If it is a legitimate complaint and not just an inherent trait the dealer gladly will go for warranty repairs. If the problem that you complain about is a design problem that is not really a problem other than something you don't like then you are pretty much stuck with the problem. Way back in the early 80's the Oldsmobile Cutlass G body had a wide AC register that was on the passenger side of the dash. Regardless of what fan speed the motor was set to you were not going to get more than a slight breeze out of it. We had tons of complaints and there was no fix other than a complete dash and air duct redesign.
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 03:24:29 GMT, "Leon"

My Subie, which is normally a reliable brand, had clutch issues from day one (literally). I sold the car @ 39,000 with no satisfaction from the warranty. Two dealers refused to disassemble the clutch unless I agreed to pay if Subaru denied the warranty claim.

Bought a 68 Wagoneer from the factory in 70. 4WD, every option known to man and driven by one of the managers. Last Jeep I ever bought. If it had Only nickled and dimed me to death, I might have kept it longer.

I do know that I watched a new F150 going down the street a couple of months back and the quarter panel flexed in and out rapidly with each and every slight bump in the road. A few weeks later a new F150 and an S10 pickup were both in a head on crash at an intersection. The speed limit is 35 mph. The S10 hardly looked damaged, the F150 had the right side if its front suspension torn out. The front wheel was gone. Most tests put the F150 in almost to completely dead last when compared to Chev, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan. Some times the Dodge Ram is in dead last position. The F150 typically gets the worst gas mileage and has the worst performance. All that said, I think the F150 is probably the best looking new model truck.
Food for thought.