A Lacquer question

Hi folks Would appreciate knowing your opinions on the percentage of lacquer to lacquer thinner mix when using a sprayer.

Ed

Reply to
Ed' stuff

Three parts laquer to 1 part thinner, maybe a little less depending on temperature .

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

Reply to
Ed' stuff

Depends on the nozzle size of the gun too.

I like a 70% nc lacquer - 30% thinners mix. I've found this gives a good gloss and is quick to lay on coats evenly.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant Byrne

I spray mine straight out of the can. I add a little retarder or flow enhancer if it is humid or hot.

I use the tip that matches the viscosity.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Straight out of the can is good. I usually thin myself but I would warn against thinning any more than 10%. Those that said the higher thinning ratios get good results I'm sure, but I'm also sure that they are spraying with a fairly high gloss product. I myself prefer a finish that looks more hand rubbed or waxed and the fast easy for production purposes is Dull Satin. (translates almost dead flat) Ask the manufacturer of your product, but my experience is any more than 10% and your getting gloss anyway because all the "deadeners" head straight for the bottom of the can. There may be a way to mount a mixer in the pot to keep it stirred continually but I'm not sure if even that will help, the deadening agent may fall out on the freshly sprayed surface.

Reply to
BurlaT3

Reply to
john