A Kudo for Rockler

Text below is from email thread. Cylinder nuts arrived this weekend while I was trying to kill ducks. No charge.

Thank you Rockler support - well done.

Usual disclaimers on association with vendor.

Tom

Tom

believe I have a couple of these I can get to you if you forward your mailing address.

Steve Technical Support Rockler Woodworking and Hardware snipped-for-privacy@rockler.com

>> Tom Banes 11/20/2005 4:26:01 PM >>>

I lucked into a used Sjoberg bench but when I picked it up two of the "threaded cylinder" nuts were missing. I've used 8mm standard nuts as a temporary expedient.

Do you know of a source for these threaded cylinders, as the nuts I'm using don't provide the same connective power?

Thanks for any help.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Not surprised. IME, the local Rockler store here in Houston is equally helpful, and it is a pleasure to do business with them.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree about the Houston Rockler, next to the wreck[1] they've been my best source of first hand information since I started making sawdust this spring. Everytime I've been in there I've walked away thinking "Now that's how to run a business"

They were far more helpful than the folks at Hardwood Lumber when I needed help selecting wood for a project when I didn't have a clue about what would be appropriate for the project and for the tools in my slowly growing shop.

Cheers,

Josh

--------------- [1] Love the archives, sooo many of my questions have been asked and answered here over the years I hardly need to post :-)

Reply to
FunkySpaceCowboy

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in

If that's Clark's, you could be right, as it is more a place for those in the "trade" ... some places are just that way.

However, if you can talk-the-talk/walk-the-walk, it can be a treasure trove of hard to find woods in this area. Although their prices are high, I will say that I generally have less waste when dealing with their woods, so it often evens out in the end ... and I like the fact that can take my time and go through _big_ stacks for just what I need, which may account for some of that lack of waste.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, it was Clark's, over on 5 1/2. I did get the impression that it was mostly for people who knew exactly what they wanted - which isn't a bad thing just not what I was expecting on that day.

The selection was just amazing and I can't complain about the quality of the wood I went home with -- about 4 BF each of quilted maple and bloodwood I want to use in some xmas presents this year -- very clean and I don't see more than a few inches that I can't use (or try to use :-) ) My only problem was getting my noob questions answered. I'll be back I'm sure, but only after doing all my homework ahead of time.

Any comments on Houston Hardwoods off of 290? They are next on my list of local suppliers to check out.

Cheers,

Josh

Reply to
FunkySpaceCowboy

Certainly worth checking out, IMO, but not much cheaper than Clark's for what I was looking for the last time I went ... quarter sawn white oak ... and the selection was smaller, but that may not be the case at all times as the stock at Clark's fluctuates also.

A lot of Houston woodworkers seem to prefer Masons on Tanner, between 290 and Beltway 8. We have a commercial account at Clarks, so I tend to gravitate in that direction strictly for the ease of doing business, not to mention the usual traffic hassles and the fact that my coonass visa is not stamped for outside-the-loop travel.

Reply to
Swingman

I do 98% of my bidness with Mason's but then, I live at 290 and Beltway 8 so they are convenient.

Reply to
New Wave Dave

Consider Hardwood Products on the West Belt. Closed on weekends but they have reasonable prices. They are on the south bound side just south of Hammerly. Large Brown building.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah that closed on the weekends thing is a bit of problem for me since that pretty much means taking the day off from work, noticed Masons was only M-F also so it'll be a while before I have a chance to check either of them out. Hmm though I do have a handful of sick days I need to take before the end of the year...

I feel a bit of the 72 hour bird flu comining on, it wouldn't be smart to go to work like this :-)

Cheers,

Josh

Reply to
FunkySpaceCowboy