A jointer saga part III: the end

Page 2 of 2
He was following up to let us know how things turned out.
I, for one appreciate having the opportunity read followups to thread which I have taken the time to read.
Thanks, for taking the time John

jo4hn wrote:

The customer is always right.
Except in your case, obviously.
-- Mark
LOL!
dave
Mark Jerde wrote:

I think this says it all. 30 years is much longer than a craftsman tool is supposed to live and it amazes the service department when they hear of such a wonder. I can't believe that they would say that, but then again... I am curious just exactly how long they expect their major tools to last under normal use. 15 years, 10 years, 5 years, warranty period plus one day?
Frank
Is this thing really 34 years old and they still stock infeed table and cutter head. Last year I tried getting a new motor for a craftsman 6" jointer that was bought in 1991 they didbn't have em oh well replaced with PM54

I guess jointer design hasn't progressed very much in several decades. What the Hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it (except, in this case, it is broke).
Rob
--------------------------
"joey" wrote ...

<<< I tried getting a new motor for a craftsman 6" jointer that was bought in 1991>>>
Bite your tongue, joey, as the service manager clearly said, it's a six and ONE EIGHTH inch jointer.
If the horsepower scam wasn't enough, they even have to stretch the truth with the width of jointers. Amazing.
Joe

Measure the knives, and it is exactly that.
Further, who goes to get a "replacement motor" from the mfr unless it's unique?
I was looking at the mid-grade drill presses at a dealer the other day, because my 70's Craftsman has no crank table control and my back isn't all it used to be. I wouldn't _trade_ any of 'em for what I've got. I guess those who automatically go for low price get what they're looking for - a low price.

My guess is that availability of repair parts would be spotty by now. The note from the Sears guy said that when Emerson stopped making the jointer, Sears bought out the inventory. I wouldn't expect the infeed table and cutter head to be a high turnover repair item. What is surprising is that Sears would devote warehouse space to those items for 30 years without scrapping them out.
I once had one of those jointers. Bought it new and thought it was a pretty good tool. But there for a long time I didn't have a workshop and it was rusting away in storage before I gave it to my son. He sold it and has often expressed regrets over doing so.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
forth from the murky depths:

WHAT? You didn't cut your Searz credit card in half and send it back with a single acronym reply? "FOAD!"
I have felt that Sears is NO place to buy tools since they screwed me over in the late 1970's. Effem all. That attitude of theirs is promoting imports.
- Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ---- http://diversify.com Dynamic Database-Driven Websites
From what manufacturer is your new jointer?
Let us know how you like it once you've put it through its paces.