A GOOD Shop Vac?

Page 2 of 2
I have had a 12 gal. 3hp Shopvac brand for over 10 years now and not a drop of trouble. The filters are available everywhere and when I remember to clean it, it can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. I bought it on sale at Lowe's for $49
Allen

Regular wet/dry ShopVac works good for me- the only thing is, if it comes with a narrow hose (and I think most of them do these days,) it's well worth buying a larger one to go on it. It's been a while since I bought it, but I think the smaller ones are 1.25" diameter, and the large hoses are 2" or 2.5". The larger ones don't clog very easily, and have plenty of suction for just about anything.
On 13 Dec 2006 20:57:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is slightly off-topic but I have been considering using a shop vac - not the portable one but a "chip vac" or central unit, I guess it would be, for my house.
It would, I think, be cheaper and much more powerful than the "name" household vacuums.
I suppose it would be noisier than the domestic setup - but if anchored in solid concrete and enclosed in a sound -deadening arrangement, this would be largely overcome.
The other thing is I don't understand why I should bother with filters. What if I simply piped the outlet outside to my compost pile? That should give it better performance - less back-pressure.
Anyone done something like this?
Somebody wrote:
> Can you recommend a good shop vac for an at-home puttering type not a > pro............price a consideration too!
SFWIW, I buy the small $40 unit when it goes on sale for $30.
Get about a 12-18 months out of one since I really abuse it sweeping up fiberglass dust as well as working outside.
Works for me, YMMV.
Lew