A GLOAT of note, by ALL standards ...

Page 2 of 3

Learning quick! LOL
Leon wrote:

Very good. Now you have someone who has a job to take care of you in your old age. ;-)

I am often heard mentioning, when he is around to hear, that he "is" our retirement plan. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Good for him! (And for you.)
We just had our first child on Jan 1 of this year. So far so good.
Chris

Ah Chris, the journey begins. Start saving NOW! LOL. May you be at least as fortunate as we have been.
Swingman wrote:

My congratulations, as well, for a job well done!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Thank you!

: Is when your son graduates "summa cum laude" from college, right Leon? : : Congratulations to all three of you ... I would say you sucketh indeed!
WOW! How far from the tree did THAT apple fall? ~:o)
--
Dave in Houston

LOL, Many more times that once my wife and I have simply looked at each other and wondered exactly when he was switched out at the hospital.
Leon wrote:

We have some friends with a child like that. Very nice people, they have 2 other children as well. This one, though, he's a straight A student, athletic, fastest runner in his class, did gymnastics for a number of years and did really well, places consistently high in academic tests like math bowls and spelling bees, plays the piano like a virtuoso and enjoys doing it. They look at people and say, "we don't know where he got it!"

A brilliant son indeed.
: Is when your son graduates "summa cum laude" from college, right Leon? : : Congratulations to all three of you ... I would say you sucketh indeed!
So, does that mean he's off the payroll? Congrats all around.
--
Dave in Houston

Let me brag a bit more. My wife and I started saving for his education when he was 2. Every month we put money into the Education Account with the exception of a few months when I decided to retire at 40. We basically had enough set aside to insure him getting through 4 years of school when he graduated from HS, we are still setting that same amount aside. He started pulling more than his load near high school graduation. He worked part time in his Junior year in HS and was awarded a 4 year scholarship for Scholastic Excellence by the U of H. That scholarship equaled 1/2 of what we had saved. During the summer before he began studies at the university he was awarded another scholarship and simply put he has been awarded scholarships from various generous foundations every year there after. At the moment he has enough scholarship credit at the university to cover the first semester of "Masters Degree School". Hopefully he will only need 2 semesters to earn that degree. All through school he has worked to take care of all of his personal expenses and start his retirement saving 4 years ago. Last summer he began using a money manager to invest his hard earned money. Needless to say his scholarships have saved his mother and I a ton of money.
I guess the inspiration that I gave him to get and maintain those scholarships was the deal I make with him. Out of his education money we bought him a new economical car for school before he started college, expensed were on him. I told him that as long as he kept his scholarships current and on going I would pay for his auto insurance. The U of H scholarship required him to maintain a 3.5 GPA. He paid the first year insurance so he was well aware of the value of that offer, as was I .. LOL He graduated with a 3.86 GPA for the last 66 hours of classes. His 4 year GPA was 3.81. He has continued to work every summer and during school every year.
So really he has been off of the payroll for the last 5 years as far as I am concerned. '~)
: > : Is when your son graduates "summa cum laude" from college, right Leon? : > : : > : Congratulations to all three of you ... I would say you sucketh : > indeed! : > : > So, does that mean he's off the payroll? : > Congrats all around. : : : Let me brag a bit more. My wife and I started saving for his education when : he was 2. Every month we put money into the Education Account with the : exception of a few months when I decided to retire at 40. We basically had : enough set aside to insure him getting through 4 years of school when he : graduated from HS, we are still setting that same amount aside. He started : pulling more than his load near high school graduation. He worked part time : in his Junior year in HS and was awarded a 4 year scholarship for Scholastic : Excellence by the U of H. That scholarship equaled 1/2 of what we had : saved. During the summer before he began studies at the university he was : awarded another scholarship and simply put he has been awarded scholarships : from various generous foundations every year there after. At the moment he : has enough scholarship credit at the university to cover the first semester : of "Masters Degree School". Hopefully he will only need 2 semesters to earn : that degree. All through school he has worked to take care of all of his : personal expenses and start his retirement saving 4 years ago. Last summer : he began using a money manager to invest his hard earned money. Needless to : say his scholarships have saved his mother and I a ton of money. : : I guess the inspiration that I gave him to get and maintain those : scholarships was the deal I make with him. Out of his education money we : bought him a new economical car for school before he started college, : expensed were on him. I told him that as long as he kept his scholarships : current and on going I would pay for his auto insurance. The U of H : scholarship required him to maintain a 3.5 GPA. He paid the first year : insurance so he was well aware of the value of that offer, as was I .. LOL : He graduated with a 3.86 GPA for the last 66 hours of classes. His 4 year : GPA was 3.81. : He has continued to work every summer and during school every year. : : : So really he has been off of the payroll for the last 5 years as far as I am : concerned. '~)
That is a great story, Leon!
--
Dave in Houston

Leon wrote:

Thanks Leon. I thought it was pure luck that my two escaped the many temptations of the "modern world", but you have validated the routine the OL and I put the "chillun" through that resulted in them being "solid citizens".
It ain't all luck :-)

Well thank heavens there are others out there also. Whew! ;!)
Swingman indeed also has one about to come into full bloom, and what a fine example she is. She truly is an inspiration and a FINE Texas in every sense of the word.

It is a delight to read your stories - woodworking and Life!!
Most of us are proud of our offspring, but some are more deserving of the gloat than others. Congrats to you all!
--
Best regards
Han

;~)
YES! congratulations to all parents and their graduating kids. As previousely mentioned here, the support system that the parents provide is a very important factor to their childrens success.

That keeps on going long after they graduate. Spouse has been babysitting the grandkids quite a while now. Oldest is 13 ...
--
Best regards
Han

Yes that is correct but grand parents get to spoil the kids. LOL.