A GLOAT of note, by ALL standards ...

Thanks Leon. I thought it was pure luck that my two escaped the many temptations of the "modern world", but you have validated the routine the OL and I put the "chillun" through that resulted in them being "solid citizens".

It ain't all luck :-)

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

He had 3 offers last fall.

I switched money to the same money manager as he did. Our money manager was almost stunned when Bryan was giving him a basic picture of his finances. About 2 weeks later we had a meeting again with the money manager to review his proposals as to how to invest. He told me that his young secretary asked if Bryan was old enough to have an IRA when she met him 2 weeks prior. Bryan had 3 of his professors propose switching majors to their areas of expertise. One of the higher ranking professors in the college gave a quick tune-up class to prepare him for his GMAT exam to qualify for post graduated classes to go towards getting his masters. Before that class had ended he tried to persuade Bryan to enter into the Doctorate program at the UofH.

My wife and I are truly very fortunate to have received this particular child at the hospital, 21 years ago. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Well thank heavens there are others out there also. Whew! ;!)

Swingman indeed also has one about to come into full bloom, and what a fine example she is. She truly is an inspiration and a FINE Texas in every sense of the word.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

SFWIW, my eldest entered The Ohio State University in the fall of

1981.

At the end of the first quarter, he was given a full boat in the engineering school for the remainder of the year.

Continued getting a scholarship each year (5 total) until he earned a BSME.

All I can remember is that he got a "B" in one class his freshman year, he was extremely disappointed.

After that is was "A" all the way thru including grad school.

He then earned a full scholarship to grad school doing robotic research where he earned a MSME.

Upon graduation, he became a full blown rocket scientist.

Still doing that work today.

Don't have a clue what he does since it is classified; however, as he said, "If I told you, would just have to kill you."

It's nice to know that the future is probably in pretty good hands.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Very good. Now you have someone who has a job to take care of you in your old age. ;-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

We have some friends with a child like that. Very nice people, they have

2 other children as well. This one, though, he's a straight A student, athletic, fastest runner in his class, did gymnastics for a number of years and did really well, places consistently high in academic tests like math bowls and spelling bees, plays the piano like a virtuoso and enjoys doing it. They look at people and say, "we don't know where he got it!"
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Good for him! (And for you.)

We just had our first child on Jan 1 of this year. So far so good.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I think you have every right to be enormously proud of your son, but just reading that sentence tells me how proud you and Kim should be of yourselves.

As Mark Twain used to say, if it was me I would be "proud to bust".

I think your son's accomplishments (not taking one bit away from him!) certainly reflect you the two of you.

Congratulations!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Leon" wrote in news:U5qdnWuXL8aBQI3XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It is a delight to read your stories - woodworking and Life!!

Most of us are proud of our offspring, but some are more deserving of the gloat than others. Congrats to you all!

Reply to
Han

Bryan cannot make that claim. Untill college, he was always an A,B student. In the first semister of college he made his first and last C in history. Perhaps that could be blamed on the interruption by Hurricane Rita when most of Houston tried to vacate and the unicersity was closed for a week. All of the students had to do a bunch of catching up. Bryan was also in and is a member of the Honors College which did indeed load him down more, but IMHO was an important factor in his success.

Grades like that certainly give you one lest thing to worry about, eh?

Very impressive!

Strangly Bryan was telling us about one of his female friends, she had been kinda secretive about the careere that she was persuing, she was majoring in some form of foreigh affairs. Apparently she has switched dirrections a bit after learning exactly what that might entail.

Absolutely, my wife always knew that Bryan was smart from way back when. I thought that the schools were simply dumbed down. High school changed all of that, his particular school was by invitation only and they did a super job of preparing all of the students for college, and IIRC a vast majority received some form of scholarship for scholastic accomplishments.

Reply to
Leon

I am often heard mentioning, when he is around to hear, that he "is" our retirement plan. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ah Chris, the journey begins. Start saving NOW! LOL. May you be at least as fortunate as we have been.

Reply to
Leon

A brilliant son indeed.

Reply to
Leon

;~)

YES! congratulations to all parents and their graduating kids. As previousely mentioned here, the support system that the parents provide is a very important factor to their childrens success.

Reply to
Leon

I think you have every right to be enormously proud of your son, but just reading that sentence tells me how proud you and Kim should be of yourselves.

Enormously proud is a pretty good description, and on Saturday during a private little get together of our very closest friends and family it became an emotional display of how proud we are.

As Mark Twain used to say, if it was me I would be "proud to bust".

Excellent reference!

;~) IIRC it was also Mark Twain that made a comment that goes something like this, It takes a pretty smart person to be able to spell a word more than one way. I totally agree and practice that often in this news group. LOL

I think your son's accomplishments (not taking one bit away from him!) certainly reflect you the two of you.

Thank you Robert, although I credit every one that has been a positive influence in his life. His grand parents spoiled him with love and encouragement. Aunts and uncles reminded us how blessed we were, neighbors and close friends have always been encouraging and eager to help him in any way possible.

Congratulations!

Robert

Reply to
Leon

Congratulations to all of you as that usually is a team effort.

One of the team members apparently put in a more concentrated effort. The other two stretched it out over 21 years. :~)

Thank you Robatoy

Reply to
Leon

Outstanding!

Congratulations to both of you.

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Thank you Tom!

Reply to
Leon

It wasn't always that way, he had quite a rocky start his first two years in high school, but alls well that ends well.

A funny story many on the list can appreciate.

As part of his scholarship, he was given a summer job.

One summer he worked in Kansas City, MO, as the night foreman on the third trick.

He didn't talk about it much, but that must have been an experience.

Picture if you will, a 20 something, still a little wet behind the ears, as the foreman for a bunch of guys, some of whom had probably worked there longer than my son had lived.

That was probably some initiation into the real world.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Learning quick! LOL