A GLOAT of note, by ALL standards ...

Page 1 of 3
Is when your son graduates "summa cum laude" from college, right Leon?
Congratulations to all three of you ... I would say you sucketh indeed!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That's indeed the summum! Congratulations!
--
Best regards
Han

THANK YOU!

Congratulations to all of you as that usually is a team effort.
Congratulations to all of you as that usually is a team effort.
One of the team members apparently put in a more concentrated effort. The other two stretched it out over 21 years. :~)
Thank you Robatoy

Yeah, I was going to say something but you so eloquently beat me to it. Thank you!
This way it does not look like I was bragging, again. I imagine everyone had heard just about enough from me yesterday.
The young man has made his daddy very proud, and relieved. Whew!
Kim and I hope to share yours and Linda's moment of glory very soon!
"Swingman" wrote:

As others have said, "Congrats".
It took an immense amount of work to get there.
Lew

T6hank you Lew.

That it did and yet he made it look so easy, he always did. I recall through out the years telling him over and over, it is going to get harder and IIRC the first time I told him that was when he graduated from kindergarten into the first grade. I still can see him walking single file with the other kindergarteners from the school to the church, wearing his little cap and gown, to go to the graduation.
Leon wrote:

No sir, Thank you and Kim ... the world is in dire need of fine young men and you two have raised one of the finest!
My hats off to you both for a parenting job worthy of respect, particularly in this day age ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Regards,

Thank you Tom!
Swingman wrote:

Indeed!
I know how that feels, even after five kids. It took months to get the smile off my face. And deepest congratulations to the summa grad.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Thank you! Our children are truly our inspiration.
Swingman wrote:

Congrats Leon. What was his major?

Thank you!
Bryan's major is in accounting. Next year he hopes to have his Master's, many of the classes he has been taking go towards that degree. He interned with KPMG in the beginning of this semester and took his final 2 classes the second half of this semester. KPMG has offered and he has accepted a position that will start in September 2010, after he gets his Masters. That degree is not a requirement but as I have told him it is something that will always benefit him. KPMG is a public accounting firm, one of the "big 4". He will be in their audit division.

"Leon" wrote

I was going to ask what his job prospects were. It sounds like he has that covered.
Hate to tell ya Leon, but your son investment program just didn't work out well. Everytime you put some money aside for him, he goes and gets another scholarship. Unlike other kids who suck up funds like a blackhole, this guy is self sufficient and hard to give money to. Are you sure he is not a UFO plant? LOL
That IS a different story. You lucky dog.

He had 3 offers last fall.

I switched money to the same money manager as he did. Our money manager was almost stunned when Bryan was giving him a basic picture of his finances. About 2 weeks later we had a meeting again with the money manager to review his proposals as to how to invest. He told me that his young secretary asked if Bryan was old enough to have an IRA when she met him 2 weeks prior. Bryan had 3 of his professors propose switching majors to their areas of expertise. One of the higher ranking professors in the college gave a quick tune-up class to prepare him for his GMAT exam to qualify for post graduated classes to go towards getting his masters. Before that class had ended he tried to persuade Bryan to enter into the Doctorate program at the UofH.
My wife and I are truly very fortunate to have received this particular child at the hospital, 21 years ago. :~)
"Leon" wrote

SFWIW, my eldest entered The Ohio State University in the fall of 1981.
At the end of the first quarter, he was given a full boat in the engineering school for the remainder of the year.
Continued getting a scholarship each year (5 total) until he earned a BSME.
All I can remember is that he got a "B" in one class his freshman year, he was extremely disappointed.
After that is was "A" all the way thru including grad school.
He then earned a full scholarship to grad school doing robotic research where he earned a MSME.
Upon graduation, he became a full blown rocket scientist.
Still doing that work today.
Don't have a clue what he does since it is classified; however, as he said, "If I told you, would just have to kill you."<grin>
It's nice to know that the future is probably in pretty good hands.
Lew

Bryan cannot make that claim. Untill college, he was always an A,B student. In the first semister of college he made his first and last C in history. Perhaps that could be blamed on the interruption by Hurricane Rita when most of Houston tried to vacate and the unicersity was closed for a week. All of the students had to do a bunch of catching up. Bryan was also in and is a member of the Honors College which did indeed load him down more, but IMHO was an important factor in his success.

Grades like that certainly give you one lest thing to worry about, eh?

Very impressive!

Strangly Bryan was telling us about one of his female friends, she had been kinda secretive about the careere that she was persuing, she was majoring in some form of foreigh affairs. Apparently she has switched dirrections a bit after learning exactly what that might entail.

Absolutely, my wife always knew that Bryan was smart from way back when. I thought that the schools were simply dumbed down. High school changed all of that, his particular school was by invitation only and they did a super job of preparing all of the students for college, and IIRC a vast majority received some form of scholarship for scholastic accomplishments.
"Leon" wrote:

It wasn't always that way, he had quite a rocky start his first two years in high school, but alls well that ends well.
A funny story many on the list can appreciate.
As part of his scholarship, he was given a summer job.
One summer he worked in Kansas City, MO, as the night foreman on the third trick.
He didn't talk about it much, but that must have been an experience.
Picture if you will, a 20 something, still a little wet behind the ears, as the foreman for a bunch of guys, some of whom had probably worked there longer than my son had lived.
That was probably some initiation into the real world.
Lew