A gloat at Sears?!?!

Page 4 of 5

(Amazon.com product link shortened)61889361/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7/102-8661301-0932106?ie=UTF8&s=hi
(Amazon.com product link shortened)61889472/ref=sr_1_22/102-8661301-0932106?ie=UTF8&s=hi
The grinder you mention is a 6 inch. Sears has that one for 69.95. (Not that I would want one)
Max
George Max wrote:

Ordinarily I'm a proponent of buying tools you can grow into since I've pissed away so much money in the past buying what I needed for today, only to find it wasn't enough tool for tomorrow's project. That being said, if that little miter saw can cut 2X4s, it'll be quite a bit handier to take to the small jobs around the house than that great big 12" Dewalt I own. Even with its rolling stand and work supports, it's a horse. I really end up thinking about whether it's worth my time to set it up for small jobs. He'll do better with his little one. If the work is bigger, he's no worse off than before... he still has his RAS.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

pounds.
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:08:54 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

I didn't write what you've quoted, Tim did.

Oh? What, exactly, are "Craftsman tools"?
Would a Delta tool be OK if it was free?
A Ryobi?
How about a Bosch? B&D?Freud?
Cheers!
Gary (shaking my head)
I had a district manager from Sears explain it to me a long time ago when I worked there as a salesman and later dept. manager. Some are a straight re-label which usually are there "professional" or "Sears Best" tools. The ones that offer little savings over the originals. Next are the re-specified. Look like the nice competitors tools but are half the cost and a fraction of the quality. Usually these are the "better" quality (LOL) they push in the ads. Most of the time they are made with junk or poor quality parts by the original manufactuer. The last is the entry level tools. These are mostly their design and are made much the same way as the "better" tools except by a plant they own. The only difference is the power, weight, size, etc. These are the "good" tools they advertise all the time. Yes some of the lower quality can be fine. I actually have one of their RO sanders that I like better than a PC that I just bought.
My random height adjustment router, automatic diagonal cut circ saw, and tension free band saw from Sears are hardly worth there weight in mud. But the biscuit joiner, RO sander, 6" bench grinder, and hand held grinder that I have from them are actually pretty decent. So I guess it depends on the specific tool.
Now some of the Makita stuff...that's garbage..
Allen
wrote

My Makita router, 3601B, wonderful. It's got a real knuckebuster for a collet, but it always does what it's supposed to do and has a lot of power. No fancy stuff like soft start or variable speed, just good honest quality.

Hence why I said some....
I had a recip saw from Makita that broke 2 inches into the first cut. Fustrated, I took it back and exchanged it. It lasted about 6 months of use (light duty) then came time for some heavy use when the end of it exploded in my hand. A trip to the ER and OR fixed my hand but for some reason they were quick to settle before it turned into a lawsuit. And yes it was the same thing that broke the second time taking more of the saw with it this time.
Then to boot I had an older Makita drill that lasted through a lot of heavy use. Broke the day the doctor let me back into the shop and all I was doing was drilling a 1/4" hole through some pine.
But my dad swears by there circ saws.
Allen

Wow. an exploding reciprocating saw.
I hope your injuries weren't permanent.
It seems a flat out honest thing to say that no manufacturer makes the best in each category of tool.
Hence the endless posts about is this blurfl any good?
They are permanent. I get to look at the scars everyday...and not be able to make a complete fist as well...
Allen

Makita belt-sanders are awfully nice as well. Tried one head-to-head against a Porter Cable, and the Makita was the better tool by far. Same guy who had the sander swore by the 2.6amp cordless drill as well.

Since you're clueless, they're the ones sold at Sears.

Maybe. Maybe not. If it were a DJ-20, definitely If it were their 14" bandsaw, definitely.

Shake your head until you're dizzy. 30 years of my experience says avoid Sears for power tools. Or nowadays for almost anything.
Time was when Sears was my first choice for everything. Now they're not my choice for anything.
Poor quality and bad customer service will do that.

...or K-Mart....

Not exactly true, that. I've got some really nice tools from Sears in the past. They're all hand tools, but I wouldn't trade the chisels I bought there for anything else. Ditto for the dovetail saw, and a few other smaller items.
All of them have Craftsman logos, and they're all very nice. Couldn't say about the power tools, as there has always been a more attractive option elsewhere.
George Max wrote:

that's a blanket statement, and like all blanket statements it has a grain (at least) of truth. however, it most emphatically is not absolutely true. for instance, my 18" craftsman bandsaw from the '70s made by parks is a total tank. I still have the first router I ever owned, a pawnshop all metal r2d2 looking thing, that while not a great piece of machinery refuses to die. the fact that I rarely use it anymore may have something to do with that, though. my craftsman wrenches and such are entirely adequate to my needs... though I'll reach for the snapon and wright stuff first if I have them in the sizes I need.
nah, craftsman tools can't all be painted the same color, unless you're JOAT.
I bought a "Mobile Notetaker" today; you jot your notes on it, and then feed it to a computer latter on. Normal price is $95; I got it marked down to $40, with a $50 rebate. They paid me $10 to take it.
Okay, tear that one apart.

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:36:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

The best I ever did was back when burnable Cds were just a couple years old and Fuji offered a rebate on stacks of 50. I managed to 'buy' 10 stacks and I made $20 profit on each stack. I got 500 cds AND $200.
Sandisk about 2 years ago were offering a $25 rebate on 256 mb cards. I sent in one rebate form and got 4 checks.
These two wins ALMOST make up for the rebates I have applied for over the years on computer crap and never received..
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

My favorite one was about seven or eight years ago. Some popular retail computer site, I can't remember the url now something-online.com. It was bought out by egghead or someone similar. So they went on this huge liquidation sale. They used an online auction to unload everything. But there wasn't enough people who knew about it. So all sorts of software was going for $1 or $2, things that should have been a lot more. I ended up buying some server backup software similar to ghost for $10. When I received it, I discovered a few things. First, it was novell only, so I couldn't use it. Second, it normally went for about $1000 retail (i didn't know). Third, there was a $200 rebate in it. I ended up getting the rebate.
brian

I've never not gotten a rebate. Sometimes they were more trouble than they were worth, but I always get them. I'm funny like that.