A gloat and a reminder

Page 1 of 2
Some magazine folks were visiting one of my customers down in Madison County (of covered bridge fame) to take photos at his place early this past winter, and were intrigued the solar heating panels on his shop building. When they asked if the panels did any good, he invited them to step inside to judge for themselves...
( It was 20F outdoors and 75F indoors. )
This week I got a call from Merideth Publishing's "Country Living Magazine" asking if it would be ok with me if they ran a feature article on the panels that would go out to 200,000 subscribers. I didn't even have to think about it. :)
The reminder part: If you've been thinking seriously about building some solar panels to heat your shop or garage, this is the right time of year to get started - you'll be glad you did.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That's pretty cool, Morris. Thumbs ^up^ Have you decided on the colour of Porsche yet? <G>
Sometimes these reviews/articles can create havoc. I speak from personal experience. HiFi Son magazine in Quebec gave me a glowing review of my first large-scale loudspeaker project. 2 Week delivery became 8 - 10 weeks and dealers got pissed off. That eventually righted itself, but still, the wasted potential still gnaws at me sometimes.
You're a wise man and I'm sure you're aware of all that. So, how to slow down production? Hint: (raise the price) LOL
Gongratulations, you deserve that.
Robatoy wrote:

The article is scheduled for the August issue, and my plan is to build as many panel bodies as I can before the article appears.

Not funny - you can't possibly imagine how difficult it's been to /not/ do that. Too many people already feel like worthwhile alternatives are out of their reach.
BTW, you might e-mail me your suggestions as to how the rebates listed on the order page might best be worded to extend them to Canadian veterans. I didn't forget - I just didn't know how to phrase it.

Thanks!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Good going Morris. Gotta get those head shots and tuxedos ready. You are gonna be famous!!
A good magazine spread is excellent marketing material. Can you make a contribution in any way? Are they going to talk to you?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Thanks. I'm unlikely to ever be even a little bit famous, but the local media has made a point of ignoring my little enterprise (they didn't even bother to respond to news releases with invitations to advertise) - so I'm hoping this'll help.

I think all they wanted from me was my blessing on their article - I think they're done talking to me, which may not be an altogether bad thing - I tend to go off the deep end with geekish explanations as to /why/ they work so well. I've learned to stop talking when peoples' eyes glaze over and/or they act squirmy. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I Have similar experiences. I find that staying away from Thai curry and a strong mint helps..<EG>
Robatoy wrote:

Yeah, well, trying to explain principles of black body behavior seems to have about the same effect on most folks...
:-T
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Robatoy" wrote ... Morris Dovey wrote:

I Have similar experiences. I find that staying away from Thai curry and a strong mint helps..<EG> ============================ It might also help if you don't say anything. <g,d & r>

Now was THAT nice?
Morris Dovey wrote:

> glaze over and/or they act squirmy. :)
Basic rule of public speaking:
The mind can absorb what the ass can endure.
Lew
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

They are going to include your contact info in the article aren't they?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yuppers - location, phone, and web site URL.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Excellent reward for your research on fusion heating ;-)
Can your web site handle a sudden 10x increase in load?
John
snipped-for-privacy@picaxe.us wrote:

My ISP said: "No problem." (That would still be fairly small stuff compared to his other clients' loads).
Strangely enough, most of the site's current activity is focused on the solar engines and the woodworking projects, and this month most of that activity has come from Brazil, France, and Italy. Go figure...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

mmm, I thought the Brazilians we more into shaving other things besides energy costs...
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:48:07 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

nah. when dubya was told that 100 brazillions were killed in a natural disaster, he broke down.
then he asked cheney:
"how many people are in a brazillion?"
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

http://e-woodshop.net/files/proud-brazilianholder.pdf
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Damn Karl, I had no idea that you were so GRE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-NNNNNNN!!
Lee Michaels wrote:

LOL ... you don't know the half-brazilian of it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08