A Gardening Project

I often do small projects for various folks or interests. Recently, the lo cal Master Gardeners asked if I would make a dozen vertical planter boxes f or their pending fall fund raiser. They've been one of the subjects discus sed in the gardening chat room I visit, as well. Seems these planter boxes are very popular, even among novice gardeners.
Scrap wood use? Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.
http://sgplants.com/products/living
Sonny
In belched:

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or cypress Just a guess on my part
"ChairMan" wrote in message belched: >> Scrap wood use?

Good options... or if permanence is of concern go with solid PVC trim boards or use "plastic" decking boards...
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:23:54 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

ypress

inage and watering might be a design factor ...
Yeah, I had made a few items, for the M. Gardeners, with ER cedar and cypre ss.
That link's use of plywood backing isn't reasonable, unless it's treated. It better be treated at those prices.
A wood frame (decor), to me, would look nicer than PVC or the plastic boxes , but lush growth should cover any unsightly PVC or plastic. I suppose any wood would make for a nice box....They may be replace with new, anyway, fo r fall and/or next years plantings, since it doesn't take much to make them .
As to the Master Gardeners, here, they will want good durable boxes, most a ppropriate for selling. The customers will want something to last more tha n a season or two, also. The Gardeners have sold other projects (I've made ) by raffle, $2 to $5 chances, on different items, and the winners names ar e drawn from the poole.
I've thought to make not just a square box, but a house front profile, also : A peaked roof-line profile, with eaves, maybe a chimney. Why be plain Ja ne!? Those girls (mostly women gardeners) seem to like enhancements, as th at.
Sonny
Sonny,
You may find this interesting.
http://tinyurl.com/y976voo
BTW, no PVC, it's all HDPE (Old milk bottles), which is weather resistant.
PVC isn't.
Lew
On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:30:58 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thanks Lew. That looks appealing, but I have 30K bd ft of old cypress and ER cedar. They gonna get my scraps. That's what all my-to-their projects have been made from, my scraps, albeit, good scraps.
Sonny