A Gardening Project

I often do small projects for various folks or interests. Recently, the lo cal Master Gardeners asked if I would make a dozen vertical planter boxes f or their pending fall fund raiser. They've been one of the subjects discus sed in the gardening chat room I visit, as well. Seems these planter boxes are very popular, even among novice gardeners.

Scrap wood use? Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

In news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Sonny belched:

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or cypress Just a guess on my part

Reply to
ChairMan

Good options... or if permanence is of concern go with solid PVC trim boards or use "plastic" decking boards...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The gardeners will tell you better than me, but advanced planning for drainage and watering might be a design factor ...

this is a plastic model available from LV

John T

hubops

inage and watering might be a design factor ...

Yeah, I had made a few items, for the M. Gardeners, with ER cedar and cypre ss.

That link's use of plywood backing isn't reasonable, unless it's treated. It better be treated at those prices.

A wood frame (decor), to me, would look nicer than PVC or the plastic boxes , but lush growth should cover any unsightly PVC or plastic. I suppose any wood would make for a nice box....They may be replace with new, anyway, fo r fall and/or next years plantings, since it doesn't take much to make them .

As to the Master Gardeners, here, they will want good durable boxes, most a ppropriate for selling. The customers will want something to last more tha n a season or two, also. The Gardeners have sold other projects (I've made ) by raffle, $2 to $5 chances, on different items, and the winners names ar e drawn from the poole.

I've thought to make not just a square box, but a house front profile, also : A peaked roof-line profile, with eaves, maybe a chimney. Why be plain Ja ne!? Those girls (mostly women gardeners) seem to like enhancements, as th at.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny,

You may find this interesting.

BTW, no PVC, it's all HDPE (Old milk bottles), which is weather resistant.

PVC isn't.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

it's all HDPE (Old milk bottles), which is weather resistant. PVC isn't. Lew

Thanks Lew. That looks appealing, but I have 30K bd ft of old cypress and ER cedar. They gonna get my scraps. That's what all my-to-their projects have been made from, my scraps, albeit, good scraps.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny