A funny student story about glue

white wine, lemon or lime juice, dill, and tarragon wrapped in alumium foil on the grill.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Makes me think of the old recipe for "planked carp". Follow directions to "Yummy", but at that point throw the fish away & eat the board.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

You can go to the borg and buy a box of the lowest grade cedar shingles (unprimed, of course) and have a lifetime supply of salmon cooking planks AND shims.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I used to work with a "good-ole-boy" type, real outdoorsman. I asked him once if carp were really any good to eat. He said, yep, if you fix 'em right. OK, Russ, how do you fix carp? He said, cut the heads off and toss 'em in the garden. Grows the best damn tomatoes you ever ate!

Doug Miller

Please notice I am NOT starting this message with "Once upon a time" or "You ain't gonna believe this sh*t".

Early 60's, pre-SWMBO, her father was out of work, they lived right on Chautauqua(Sh-uh-taw-qua) Lake. During carp spawn, they come up & roll in weed beds. Her brother would go out in a john-boat with a bowfishing rig,

100lb. line. I helped him a few times, rowing & helping pull 5' plus carp up off the bottom, where they headed when he hit them. We'd take off a row of scales along the spine, skin them, then her dad would filet them, making sure to get mud streak out. He's marinate them in salt brine overnight, then put them in a smoker he made from a junkyard refrigerator. Hot smoke at first to bake the fat out, then Apple & corncob to slow smoke. Weigh it up on a scale, he was selling the stuff for $1.00/lb in bars to fishermen who wouldn't eat carp on a bet!(He wouldn't tell them what it was, just take out a nice chunk and pass it around for samples, then tell what it was after they started buying). Helped keep their family going that summer.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

When I was in college in the early 60's a German family who owned a small restaurant in a little town about 30 miles from the college town made, believe it or not, sausage from carp.

I remember once helping the old man unload (they had a good-looking daughter who accounted from my presence) a pickup, full to the top of the truck bed, with buffalo carp ... and there were only four carp. The sausage was spicy and good, the carp were caught in gill nets (illegal) on the Brazos river, and today the family has a thriving, and ostensibly, pork, beef and venison sausage business that is well known over this part of the country and even sold in Sam's.

I often wonder if there is any gill netted (legal or not) carp in it ... but the sausage is so good I would neither care, nor tell.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:35:35 -0400, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow" spake:

Yeah, salmon is too close to carp for my tastes most often. If it's super fresh (caught and cooked within 8 hours), it's not bad.

I much, MUCH prefer Steelhead (aka Trout on Steroids.) With its moist, buttery flavor, it's delicious and delectable and worth the $5.99/lb!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And your thinking was? That once you smelled of man-sweat, river mud and dead fish you'd be so attractive she couldn't help herself? How'd that work out for ya?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

"Fly-by-Night CC"wrote in

LOL Never thought of it that way ... if the old man had known what we were up to he would have oiled up the shotgun ... so maybe it was a guilt trip?

Reply to
Swingman

Using the carp odor as camouflage. There are two things that smell like fish....

Reply to
George