A funny student story about glue

Page 1 of 7

Folks -
Okay, a short one.... Got a gal in one of the Friday classes, has had WS before and has the basics... Anyway, she is building a segmented round mirror frame. I told her we would assemble it with hide glue.... She wanted to know what THAT was, and I told her that it was the only glue available for WW until modern adheisives came along.... She wanted to know why it was called hide glue, and I told her... She wrinkled her nose and had a small hissy about "those poor rabbits" and that it was WRONG to do that. I countered, by asking her if she had ever eaten a burger.... she said that "that didn't count" and that hide glue was "mean".... So, I back-tracked and told her, half in jest, that we were actually using the "vegitarian" formula, and that the original ingredients included lettuce and carrots. She took it hook, line and sinker.... So now it's "carrot glue"
Sheesh....
John

Is it rabbits? I've always thought it was of livestock origins - like cows and in the past, horses - as in sending the old gray mare to the glue factory...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

It may be, but not usually for woodworking.
Woodworking hide glue is hides from cows, maybe horses. Hooves and bone take too much cooking, so they go for fertiliser instead.
Rabbit skin glue is more flexible than other hide glues. It's mainly used for bookbinding, and similar trades.

Collagen. Source variable. More cow parts available most places since the advent of the horseless carriage.

Yeah, all the people that used to ride cows are driving cars now.
Lee

And that's "no bull"!
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Glen

If so, *that* is also no bull.

Sorry for the second reply but thought of something else...
In the last year or two my wife and I have been trying to gently ease our now 6 year old into knowing the true origins of the animal products we eat and wear. Her favorite stuffed animal is a cow. This cow has been with us since the day she was born and to this day is much loved and protected by all in the family - but especially our daughter. We love animals and stop along the roadside to pet horses and talk to the cows, we frequent petting zoos, have a couple dogs, read about animals, wake her up to hear the owl in the summer and generally instill in her how important it is to be respectful, kind and not harm animals, etc.
We thought it might be a problem explaining where hamburgers, roasts and other beefy goodness comes from... nope - she doesn't seem to care one bit as she pours more ketchup on her burger. She's even gotten to asking us what part of the animal we're eating at any given meal - like what animal gives us bacon and what part of the pig is it? She didn't seem fazed at all that some people of the world eat dogs and rabbits or that some won't even consider eating cows. On the flip side she still firmly believes in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Sounds like a well-adjusted young lady. My wife has become a vegetarian over the past couple of years, and now she tries grossing me out about eating meat. Doesn't work though- she tried telling me that I should never eat McDonald's because the hamburger is allowed to have a certain percentage of cow eyeballs in it. Well, that may or may not be true- but just to show it doesn't work, I make a point of always saying "Mmmmm... eyeballs" right before biting into any burger these days. :)
Nothing wrong with being kind to animals, and using them when their time is up. That's what we raise them for. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Not eating McD's ... that's just good taste. :) Having my food stare back at me ... not an issue.

Well, I keep it to a minimum, but when you're running late and they've got a 60-second drive-through guarantee, it's sometimes hard to pass up. :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Sun, 01 May 2005 05:27:39 -0500, the inscrutable Prometheus

Whoa, doubletake there. I could have sworn I read "60-second drive-through quarantine" on the first read-through and was impressed that they went that far. I should have known.
The only fast-food restaurant I occasionally partake of is Carl's Jr., and then it's only their fried zucchini, _made_fresh_while_I_wait_!
---------------------------------------------------------------- "Let's sing praise to Aphrodite || www.diversify.com She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development
On Sun, 01 May 2005 06:08:50 -0700, Larry Jaques

Yup. MacD's are hard to find here, but there seems to be a Carl's on every corner.
Don't know how widespread the chain is, but Farmer Boy's is pretty good too.
Lee

Who was the comedian who said, "If God did not want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat".
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:31:07 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

I thought that was Ted Nugent.
Barry
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:31:07 -0400, the inscrutable "Lee Michaels"

One of the funniest skits I've seen and heard was George Wallace (Yeah, the black comedian, not the Georgia racict.) on feeding the homeless. He wanted to give out loaves of bread to the homeless in the parks and have them catch pigeons and make sandwiches, killing two birds (so to speak) with one stone. I couldn't Google a link for it or I would have posted it. His version was a LOT funnier.
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
snipped-for-privacy@business.org says...

I can eat the eyeballs - I think they're good :-).
She's also not overly fond of my habit of eaing the marrow in those little rings of bone :-).

lgb wrote:

You eat the eyballs out of trout?! Now, that's just disgusting. The purpose of frying/grilling the trout with the head on is to eat the tiny cheeks where there's a pocket of meat....not the eyes. Signed, raised on a trout farm where supper was so fresh it jumped out of the skillet.

S O P in some countries. We have some people at work from Pacific rim countries. They tend to eat a lot of parts that we would dispose of. Some of their food smells outstanding, others force me to fresh air.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/