A funny student story about glue

Folks -

Okay, a short one.... Got a gal in one of the Friday classes, has had WS before and has the basics... Anyway, she is building a segmented round mirror frame. I told her we would assemble it with hide glue.... She wanted to know what THAT was, and I told her that it was the only glue available for WW until modern adheisives came along.... She wanted to know why it was called hide glue, and I told her... She wrinkled her nose and had a small hissy about "those poor rabbits" and that it was WRONG to do that. I countered, by asking her if she had ever eaten a burger.... she said that "that didn't count" and that hide glue was "mean".... So, I back-tracked and told her, half in jest, that we were actually using the "vegitarian" formula, and that the original ingredients included lettuce and carrots. She took it hook, line and sinker.... So now it's "carrot glue"

Sheesh....

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

Is it rabbits? I've always thought it was of livestock origins - like cows and in the past, horses - as in sending the old gray mare to the glue factory...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Sorry for the second reply but thought of something else...

In the last year or two my wife and I have been trying to gently ease our now 6 year old into knowing the true origins of the animal products we eat and wear. Her favorite stuffed animal is a cow. This cow has been with us since the day she was born and to this day is much loved and protected by all in the family - but especially our daughter. We love animals and stop along the roadside to pet horses and talk to the cows, we frequent petting zoos, have a couple dogs, read about animals, wake her up to hear the owl in the summer and generally instill in her how important it is to be respectful, kind and not harm animals, etc.

We thought it might be a problem explaining where hamburgers, roasts and other beefy goodness comes from... nope - she doesn't seem to care one bit as she pours more ketchup on her burger. She's even gotten to asking us what part of the animal we're eating at any given meal - like what animal gives us bacon and what part of the pig is it? She didn't seem fazed at all that some people of the world eat dogs and rabbits or that some won't even consider eating cows. On the flip side she still firmly believes in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

It may be, but not usually for woodworking.

Woodworking hide glue is hides from cows, maybe horses. Hooves and bone take too much cooking, so they go for fertiliser instead.

Rabbit skin glue is more flexible than other hide glues. It's mainly used for bookbinding, and similar trades.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Collagen. Source variable. More cow parts available most places since the advent of the horseless carriage.

Reply to
George

Sounds like a well-adjusted young lady. My wife has become a vegetarian over the past couple of years, and now she tries grossing me out about eating meat. Doesn't work though- she tried telling me that I should never eat McDonald's because the hamburger is allowed to have a certain percentage of cow eyeballs in it. Well, that may or may not be true- but just to show it doesn't work, I make a point of always saying "Mmmmm... eyeballs" right before biting into any burger these days. :)

Nothing wrong with being kind to animals, and using them when their time is up. That's what we raise them for. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news:onlnlowe- snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Um, what about Santa Claus? Are you trying to imply something here?

Reply to
Doc

Isn't Santa Claus the guy who delivers my power tools? Isn't the Easter Bunny the guy who delivers my hand tools? And, I do have to speak to that Tooth Fairy fella about some saw blades that need to be sharpened.

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

No Joke and I am not kidding about this, I have made and shipped toys to "Santa's Workshop, at Northpole, AK, I even receive checks and cashed them for the toys.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news:onlnlowe- snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

products

We're in a similar position with our 4 yr old, but since we eat a lot of wild game/fish the connections are even more fun. In recent weeks we've had salmon, deer, elk, bison, duck, walleye, caribou and probably a few others on the table, along with a bit of pork and chicken. She knows where eat one comes from, and desite the zoo full of stuffed animals upstairs she seems OK about eating meat. She's also pretty interested in knowing which animals eat one another, i.e. who are the carnivores in her menagarie.

Must be a common thing in some families, but I do know others who've had kids freak out about meat around age 7-10 when they first make the connections between chickens and McNuggets.

-Kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

Not eating McD's ... that's just good taste. :) Having my food stare back at me ... not an issue.

Reply to
David D

Yeah, all the people that used to ride cows are driving cars now.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Who was the comedian who said, "If God did not want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat".

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It always grosses out my wife when I fry trout with the head attached so I can eat the eyeballs - I think they're good :-).

She's also not overly fond of my habit of eaing the marrow in those little rings of bone :-).

Reply to
lgb

You eat the eyballs out of trout?! Now, that's just disgusting. The purpose of frying/grilling the trout with the head on is to eat the tiny cheeks where there's a pocket of meat....not the eyes. Signed, raised on a trout farm where supper was so fresh it jumped out of the skillet.

Reply to
janahartzell

So...Does Crazy Glue come from Mad Cows :O)

Keith P

Reply to
Salmo

S O P in some countries. We have some people at work from Pacific rim countries. They tend to eat a lot of parts that we would dispose of. Some of their food smells outstanding, others force me to fresh air.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's my understanding that sheep's eyes are a delicacy in the Middle East. I'm sure that there is a lesson there somewhere, but dang if I know what.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Seen on bash.org...

We vegetarians love the environment. carnivores are sick freaks. How can vegetarians possibly love the environment.. you keep eating all the f*cking plants

:-)

Reply to
Philip Hallstrom

Reply to