A failed contraption

Just in case anyone was wondering whether building a fixture to mount a 1/4 sheet sander at a right angle to a table to sand edges and small parts was a good idea, it is not. Clamped down good and solid to my bench, which is not exactly light, it does a particularly effective job of vibrating absolutely everything right off the bench. Chisels are no problem at all, and it was working real hard on the #5-1/2 plane and would have succeeded if I'd given it another minute or two. So at least as a bench cleaning device it comes highly recommended. Wear hearing protection.
I actually did that quite some time ago, but I bring it up now to remind myself as I consider another contraption (a large diameter spindle sander).
Why not go All In and make a LONG belt sander - with rounded ends - two different diameters, and changeable - like the one Michael Colca made.
(top half of this page) http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/Tempwood/Tempwood.html

That's a great idea, however I already have an edge sander, and all the parts I'd need for the spindle sander on hand except a larger pulley to keep the FPM at the edge sane and a roll of 6" wide sandpaper. And I should be able to throw it together in a weekend and borrow a motor from another machine to see if it works. I have a spindle sander, the largest drum it can take is 3" and I am just curious how much better/easier it would be to work on shallow curves with say a 10-12" drum.
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com /
--
jazz_10a