A dumb finishing question

I built a cabinet for my wife; nothing special, just an ash frame with left over scraps of birch and oak plywood panels.
I got it exactly the color she wanted with a light brown/red dye and a mahogany gel stain.(I told her I didn't like the color, but you know how "they" are.)
Now she doesn't like the color either. It would be more work to strip it than it was to build it. Is there anything to be done except painting it? I am thinking maybe a brown gelstain will move it away from red; but that will leave it pretty dark. Any other ideas?
"toller" wrote in message

Strangely enough, you might be surprised at what an amber shellac would do for the tone ... it would be worth a try on some scrap, in any event.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Try removing some of the stain with a rag dampened with mineral spirits, then apply another stain. Sometimes finishing DOES take longer than to build the project. Hope you remember you broke one of the classic rules of finishing:
Save a few pieces of wood to use to test various finishes. A bad finish can ruin your project. After applying some stain to a scrap piece, ask your wife if she likes it; or better yet show her 4 or 5 samples to select one.

Try a green top coat. Slowly add green dye or colorant to a clear finish, and build it in light coats. The green tint will move the color towards brown with less darkening overall.
Practice on scrap!
Barry
TransTint dyes can be used in many liquids including alcohol or water, shellac or WB lacquer. www.homesteadfinishing.com
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:32:29 GMT, B a r r y

Get thee a Color Wheel - available from most art supply stores/sources. Will show you what color on the opposite side of the wheel from your current color you need to add to tone down the color your wife doesn't like.
Or - DAGS on color theory, color wheel ...
charlie b
Google for "liberon" for a multi page discussion on Color Theory which includes a simple color wheel.