A dovetail epiphany

I just figured out when cutting the tails, by looking at the reflection of the board in the saw, if the board and refection are 'straight' then the saw is at right angles.
Maybe I'm learing something.
Very old trick you have just rediscovered.

Does this mean I have to keep my saw clean and polished?
Jim

brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Indeed you are. You can also use it to eyeball a miter and you can do the same thing with chisels.