a decent bow-saw

anyone know where to buy one? I use it for cutting branches.The ones I have found won't keep their shape and as a result the blade will stick. I would like to pay a bit more to get one of better quality. I am in Ireland.
mary wrote:

I understand Sandvik makes a good bow saw, but I've never used one (I made my own).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ditto on the recommendation, though Sandvik is now Bahco. http://www.tools-plus.com/sandvik-bahco-331-21-51-kp.html
Should be available in Ireland, Mary, but I would be willing to bring you one if you'll cover transportation costs. ;)
The Bahco Bow Saw is available mail order from Axminster Tool Centre either 12.64 or 15.40 plus p&p.
My Sandvik bow saw is over forty years old and only on its second blade, even though it gets some really heavy use pruning the trees in my garden every year or two.
I've dealt with Axminster on-line for several years both for myself and when I was working. They offer a fast and efficient service.
URL www.axminster.co.uk
I am not connected with Axminster nor have I worked for them at any time, just a satisfied customer.
--
Alan
Retired

thanks.I'll have to get one

Not a fan myself - I use my folding pruning saw far more than a bow saw. With modern steels there's far less need to use a skinny piece of bandsaw and thus have to keep it tensioned with a bow frame. Obviously this makes things much easier for access past other branches!
Obviously these are all pull saws too...
Mine: * My "Ars" saw. Bought it in Belfast years ago (that great little toolshop in the middle), some Japanese brandname that made me laugh anyway. Good saw though. * Japanese "Silky" brand. Lovely saws, bit expensive though and they come from Axminster. * Tesco own brand. 5 (!!), folding blade in a green plastic loop handle. Yes, really. Damn good saw - let's see how long it holds an edge for. The trick with buying pruning saws (wet wood) is to look for a taper-ground blade (thinner at the back) so that it gives more clearance in the kerf. So Aldi's flat-ground one isn't worth looking at, but this Tesco one is great. * Sandvik, maybe 10 years old. Thin sheet blade, bendy, no clearance and a poor saw all round, especially with this name on it. Disappointing.
Big stuff - my 3' long single-handed "Goat Head" (eBay). For things in this size, you ought to find an old (1950s) book on handsaws and learn the half-dozen tooth shapes before sharpening them. It _does_ make a difference, according to wood and season.
Good mail-order shops are Axminster (UK) and Dick.biz (Germany, good mail-order for high-end tools).