A craftsman Legacy TV Show - Alan Kaniarz

My wife and I enjoy watching the PBS show, A Craftsman Legacy. Each is a short introduction to a craftsman in their shop. Interesting folks and stories. This weekend was about Alan Kaniarz, The furniture Maker. He really is a multitalented, old school woodworker. But teaches at an art college and fully embraces modern tools and processes. He designed a new line of very modern (futuristic) furniture. It is cut on on a cnc router machine and he hand sands (with Festool sanders) and assembles it. It is striking to look at, commands big bucks and would be impossible to build for a profit without that cnc machine.

Anyway, it was an interesting look at a craftsman who is doing well by combining old and new. He does a lot of different things. Lots of custom work. If you can find it online or on pbs, it is a good show. He has a website at

You can see his furniture there. Again, not my taste, but there is a market for it and he is doing well.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:33:06 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Hi. I get PBS but I've never seen that show listed. What days/time does it come on?

Reply to
none

Air times will differ depending upon your location and available stations. Go to your LOCAL PBS website and do a search or, if you have a DVR with your cable or satellite receiver, do a search.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

AND a lot of these series are not on the local main channel, the ones that providers let you see. Typically they are on the alternate channels.

I'm suppose to be able to see WoodSmith Shop on my local PBS and did for several years. Now the local PBS has switched it to a station that my DVR does not recognize.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sometime like Create? Depends on where you are, but you can probably pull it in off an antenna. Go to antennaweb.org to get a good guess of what you could pull in with an antenna.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Remember that most PBS stations have some discretion (and budget limitation s) that dictate some of their optional programming. Off and on over the ye ars there have been shows that were shown in other areas of the state that NEVER came here. We also have 4 PBS stations, one is pretty much a rebroad cast of the main channel, one is a "greatest series" channel, and one is al l arts/crafts/gardening. The last is VEME, which is PBS in all Spanish.

I have seen the Craftsman legacy show, and it is worth a look. It isn't in structive, but it is a nice snapshot of different types of craft work. I e njoyed the episode where they visited the clock maker that started out maki ng his clocks with sheets of brass to cut gears.

As a thought, for those that can't get the series you might check PBS.org a nd see if they have them online. Probably somewhere in here for those that might be interested:

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

do they share the techniques used by the craftsman or is it more a show on the people

i prefer shows where i can learn something

i recently watched an old episode of new yankee workshop and found it ridiculous how little details he shared

i think they were trying to sell plans so they did not reveal all

Reply to
Electric Comet

Then watch Craftsman Legacy instead of running it down!

Just pick an episode that interests you. I've watched the gunsmith, knifemaker and woodworker. Found plenty of interest and learn a few things from each episode that I did not know and will file away for future reference.

It's the same thing with "NYW" and "This Old House" and "Ask This Old House."

I seriously doubt that there's any one of us here who is so smart and experienced that they cannot learn SOMETHING from one of these shows or who can't be entertained.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

And don't under estimate the entertainment value. My wife and I enjoy very different types of TV shows. There is only a couple areas where our interests overlap. And these types of shows are one of those areas. One rule of a good marriage is to find activities that you both can participate in and enjoy. I enjoy these types of shows twice. Once, for the information presented and an opportunity to vicariously experience a fellow craftsman's life. And secondly, my honey is sitting right there, enjoying it too. I am certain her interests and responses are very different from mine. But the mutual enjoyment is very real and palpable.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You can watch this show directly off the internet from this site...

Registering with the site gives you access to full videos, and other things, for as often as you like from anywhere. Good stuff!

Reply to
Casper