A confirmation of two revelations.

I understand exactly why the sheets are over sized, and I seriously doubt that the extra width is for kerf although is suppose that could be true. It would be next to impossible to guess how much kerf should be considered. BUT with thinner veneers and the surface being sanded away on the edges making the sheets 1/2" longer and wider takes care of getting rid of the factory edge.
AFWIW when do you really need 24" wide panels? Most cabinets are narrower than that.
On 8/10/2015 3:49 PM, Leon wrote:

And just a follow up on the construction vs. cabinet work use of hardwood veneer panels. Some of the hardwood veneer panels are used to cover and produce picture frame paneling. I'm absolutely no expert in that field but I have seen some of it during installation. These plywood panels are exposed and varnished. Seams covered with thin plywood strips and moldings used to cover the strip edges. I do not however recall if the panels were attached directly to wall studs.