A confirmation of two revelations.

I guess had I actually wanted over sized panels I would have asked to see if they were available. A few weeks a go I bought/ asked for the same type product, paint grade. I received 48 x 96. This upgraded over sized panel this time were larger. And FWIW this upgraded panel in the past has been

48 x 96. Obviously plywood panels come oversized but I have never seen it and I have bought a lot of cabinet quality in the past 35 years.
Reply to
Leon

...another big snip...

It's certainly true that the amount produced at "half-over" is small compared to that for the nominal dimension so again I'm not surprised hadn't run into it. As my geezer story relates, I discovered it "way back when" by accident from the old codger in Lynchburg because he used it quite a lot for custom work. Here all I was trying to do was to emphasize that hardwood ply like hardwood lumber doesn't run by the same rules grading/sizing systems as does construction lumber or ply.

As can be seen if go thru the available product listings at some of the links I posted earlier, there are sheets available at a number of sizes and that altho the vast majority are the "standard" 4x8 the 48.5x96.5 is a reasonably common alternate, particularly in birch, maple and walnut as well as luaun and the like. Besides, there's the (probably more well known) 4x10 and (less so?) 5x10 and (particularly the Baltic birch and similar) 5x5 which more than likely is actually metric in both thickness and outer dimension being imported for the most part altho there is at least some 5x5 US-produced I believe still.

For a distributor rather than a manufacturer, what you get may be the luck of the draw as to what they happen to have or, perhaps, even, the person who pulls stock (or perhaps directs you to let you select specific sheets) is the new employee and doesn't know themselves that that stack is the plus-half one! :) And certainly it's close enough that one can't tell just by a glance if they let you just go choose so that if you're not expecting and don't actually put a tape on it you'd never know 'til you got home...

In the small market here, I suspect if I went and asked for it even the guys behind the counter wouldn't have a clue(*) they could even order it; and it's possible their supply chain is so limited thru their connection as a Mead Lumber outlet they can't, I haven't tried to see. With a large distributorship such as you have, it's not surprising to me they have both available altho again I'd not be surprised if there were a lack of knowledge by the less-experienced staff there, even, as far as any given sale unless you do have a single point of contact.

(*) It's so bad here, several years ago I asked if they had any fir in stock and the kid working behind the order counter didn't even know what it is and the "senior" guy who's been there since we moved back was only slightly more informed.

Reply to
dpb