A Cleaver Idea

Page 1 of 3
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the other night.
A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.
A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.
The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.
Application:
Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.
Neat idea IMHO.
Lew

I never found it hard or necessary to align the holes that precicely.

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:43:14 -0500, Leon wrote:

Quite. If there is a problem, just stick a pencil into one hole on the ROS and drop the sandpaper over that, through the corresponding hole in the sandpaper disc. Aligning all the other holes is now merely a matter of rotating the sheet. Remember to remove pencil before operating the tool.
If that's too difficult (then maybe you shouldn't be using power tools :-), just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all you'd ever need.

Not quite. You have to find some way to not put the sandpaper on upsidedown. A $6000 optical reader should be sufficient.
wrote in message

You could also add a CNC machine to make the holes in the sand paper yourself. Not only would the holes be perfectly aligned, they'd fit any hole pattern!
Puckdropper
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 03:20:34 -0500, Upscale wrote:

you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text: "other way up" on them? (or better: "this side down" on the velco side). Hmm, maybe there's a $100 tip-of-the-week in there somewhere.

Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should be "this side up".
Upscale wrote:

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO confusing.     nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which side you're on.
Robatoy wrote:

Is it reversed if you are in China? And how do they decide which side to mark on exports?
--
Froz...

That's Australia, not China, you dummy!
Luigi
Robatoy wrote:

Hmm - this sounds akin to the blonde who used a marker to write "TGIF" inside all her shoes...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Robatoy wrote:

There is a down-side to everything...
Even a mobius strip?
Robatoy wrote:

Designers should avoid that kind of ambiguity.
"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As seen on a Claymore mine.

someone who had a spare:
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2009/07/22/20090722landmine.html
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:23:50 -0700, the infamous "CW"

Claymores are my favorite "BB gun!" <arr, arr, arr>
--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
HeyBub wrote:

As long as it also has the essential caveat "do not eat".
J. Clarke wrote:

Or, for some military munitions, "Not a step"