A Cleaver Idea

Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I never found it hard or necessary to align the holes that precicely.

Reply to
Leon

Have had one for years ... got the idea in a magazine at least 15 years ago, maybe more. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post a link. Mine is a double, with holes in a plywood cover that mirrors the three dowels that hold the sandpaper/guide the ROS onto same.

A picture oughta be worth at least a couple of hundred words ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Gee sounds neat. You got plans for that sucker?? :-) j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Rockler sells them.

Reply to
CW

Quite. If there is a problem, just stick a pencil into one hole on the ROS and drop the sandpaper over that, through the corresponding hole in the sandpaper disc. Aligning all the other holes is now merely a matter of rotating the sheet. Remember to remove pencil before operating the tool.

If that's too difficult (then maybe you shouldn't be using power tools :-), just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all you'd ever need.

Reply to
pete

Not quite. You have to find some way to not put the sandpaper on upsidedown. A $6000 optical reader should be sufficient.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:523b8$4a656c3b$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

You could also add a CNC machine to make the holes in the sand paper yourself. Not only would the holes be perfectly aligned, they'd fit any hole pattern!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text: "other way up" on them? (or better: "this side down" on the velco side). Hmm, maybe there's a $100 tip-of-the-week in there somewhere.

Reply to
pete

Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should be "this side up".

Reply to
Upscale

*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it is never an issue.

BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.

Reply to
Robatoy

When I 'have to' make holes, I use a 1/2" hole punch, like one you buy in a cheap kit from HF etc. The difference is, I stick mine in a drill press, and at run at slow speed.... about 5 sheets at the time. Works like a beauty, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Shades of "Green side up".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
*Haughty sniff*.. well.. *I* use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screens so it is never an issue.

BTW.. once you get hooked (no pun intended) on Abranet, you will never use sand'paper' again. It costs a little more, but the results are superior and the stuff lasts a long time. I did a study, it is actually cheaper in the long run. A perfect mate to Festool sanders.

I have been eyeing that stuff, does it require a special atachment pad? Are there a variety of grits? Works good on wood?

Reply to
Leon

My Bosch pad sander came with a widget (though of inferior plastic) to do the same.

Reply to
keithw86

When I 'have to' make holes, I use a 1/2" hole punch, like one you buy in a cheap kit from HF etc. The difference is, I stick mine in a drill press, and at run at slow speed.... about 5 sheets at the time. Works like a beauty, eh?

I think a few missed the point here, the object is "not" to make holes in regular paper rather to align the holes on the paper to the holes on the sander pad. I have a friend that ownes a DeWalt finish sander and the sander kit provided a paper stamp to punch the holes in the paper in the correct locations for that sander.

Reply to
Leon

Which direction is best, clockwise or counter clockwise? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

First of all, the Festool pads are perfect for Abranet. They stick like dog-snot to a screen door. (Shit to a blanket, whatever...)

The consistency in grit is second to none and my collection goes from

180 to 240 to 320 to 400 to 600. I think there are courser and finer grits than that, but I don't use them. In the 7 years I have been using that stuff, I have yet to see a screen clog up.... then again, I don't use that stuff on latex painted surfaces...it is not made for crap-removal. I would also not use my Festool sanders (3) for that kind of work anyway.

The dust-removal aspect of Abranet-on-Festool is simply unbelievable. (Although you're already indoctrinated.)

Now, when you ask me about the performance on wood, I suspect if the stuff is really splintery or full of resin, you might get some clogging. It works great on cherry, maple, walnut and hickory.

You won't believe the 'cut' you get from their 240... fast, clean and durable... simply nothing like it.

Reply to
Robatoy

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO confusing. nobody to home

Reply to
jo4hn

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which side you're on.

Reply to
Robatoy