a carpentry terminology question.

this was forwarded to me... I guess somebody thinks I'm an expert or something, but I don't have an answer. so what do y'all think?

nobody else has a name for that little remainder either, eh?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I guess not...
Myself, I never knew that little piece had a name; I've heard it just called the drop or waste or somesuch, even though those are general terms not specific to that, um, thing.
-Phil Crow
On 1 May 2006 20:27:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It doesn't. Not everything needs a name where a description will do. When you clip your toenails and the first cut is incomplete, and leaves a bit hanging until you nip it off, that doesn't have a name either. It's just chatter for the sake of chatter.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not me. Looks like you can claim discovery by christening it with some variant of your name. Kerf bridger? Works for me. ;)
In the days of the great explorers, the discoverer of an unnamed land got to name it. Go for it.