a CAD Question

I'm looking for a CAD software to *easily* design cabinets and/or built in units. I have Design Max 3d but I'm looking for something similar to what you see used at the various borg's in their kitchen design areas. Something where I could plug in cabinet x with x y and z dimensions, then dress it up with various door styles.

Does anyone know of a program like this. Or, know what they use at the borgs?

TIA,

JC

Reply to
noonenparticular

That could mean almost anything. :-)

Professional? Amateur? Budget?

here for Cabinet maker Products. Some cost muchos pesos -- some=20 cost more...
R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

That could mean almost anything. :-)

Professional? Amateur? Budget?

here for Cabinet maker Products. Some cost muchos pesos -- some cost more...

noonenparticular

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Good points Don, thank you.

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

sorry, i'm not thinking along the lines of presentation, but prints of views. Lt won't draw off of a single 2D plane, and other things to begin with. Autocad can spin all grown pieces seperately or individually in 3D, or from any view, including the 3 normal, but its not a pick and choose software. Nor does it create a bill of materials. Whether and how easy it is to create accurate dimensioned prints from 3 or more views depends on version. ProEngineer, for instance, will automatically create all printable dimensioned views when you model the piece(S) automatically. The great thing about this end of software is that it monitors what you have done in terms of draw line from a to b . Create a surface from ab using point c. Create boss from surface abc d height. When you change a b or c, d automatically adjusts. It asks you what to do (you tell it) . In AutoCAD if you change a, b, or c, you might as well erase anyfrom from d on that depends on them. This is difficult software and expensive. ($10G).

Reply to
bent

in LT if you want 3 views, you need to create three seperate drawings. All points, lines, etc., dimensions. Three seperate thimes. You will never see anything but orthographic projections. Never spin a cabinet, all you got is stick lines. AutoCAD can render, that is make a picture in wood grain of all pieces of a 3D model from any view. You need 3 ortho views for dimensioning though - the plans (Bill OF Materials). AutoCAD also does isometric, that is you can draw stick figures in a 3D representation. It won't colour, shade, or render. always sticks. It doesn't spin. You choose the view from the outset. You can't change it. It won't go from elsewhere to make dimensions. It can dimension, but with dimension lines aligned with the stick figures. It can get confusing. Not in 3 right angled views. I do not know if Lt even does this.

TIP: When drawing these 3 essential orthographic (plan) views (Top, Front, L or R), as I said AutoCAD may take a snap shot or not or better(depending on version) - or another way (Salespeople from CAD supplier, not future shop can help) from the 3D model it CAN make, but both LT and AutoCAD allow stick drawing in order to get these diomensioned views. Instead of drawing all 3 views on a seperate screen, you can draw all 3 on the same screen and save yourself lots of hassles. You do not draw the dimensions - just point to the ends. But you draw each ends 3 times. The front view - this is standard drafting proceedure, goes in the lower left position. The right view is directly to the right. The top view is directly above the front view, but shifted to the left of the right view. This way all the positions are in alignment. You can use projection(construction) lines to know end points. If you draw a line at 90 degreed abouve the right view projection lines upward to the mitre line drawn horizontally over to the top view will give an intersection of projection lines for all points. Ovals can be drawn this way( center points LT/ isocircle). Gives a clean drawing. Print all three views at the same time. Or zoom and print screen selection on seperate pages. 8-1/2" x 11" each.

AutoCAD is nor a good 3D modelling program for say a car body. It has the nuts but not the soup.

Reply to
bent

for those who may need to know, let me try to clarify the dimensioning in 3 views from a 3D model comments. I may just be assuming that a software can do this automatically. With Pro/E, maybe it is a function of the print menu, like Print, Right View, w/ dimensions. Can't remember what is automatic w/i Pro/E. Its amazing what advantage new developments in versions give. Mechanical Desktop is a third AutoDesk product (ca. ~1981). No comments.

The point is, with AutoCAD you draw somthing in 3D, which you can't in LT. You're gonna want 3 views dimensioned views. Imagine you cut a 6-sided cube out of a single piece of paper. You can fold out the single piece of paper with the squares, with L, F, R laying side by side from left to right. T & B are respectively above and below F. In AutoCAD, to get three views with dimensions, hit a couple keystrokes to spin the model within the sw and dimension from end point to end point. Spin again, dimension, and again, and again... if necc. 3 std. Then when you spin it back to the start view, you've got dimensions in 3D, granted flat. Anything can be made visible or invisible, and printing can be done from any view. You can put dims on a seperate layer, and turn them off. If you need to get a 3 views on one page, as opposed to seperate pages, I'm pretty sure you can do that without heroic measures, depending on version. Thats what I was thinking about.

With a 3D model in AutoCAD. Just the term for what AutoCAD makes when you create something in it. It can then shade, colour, grain or any material, and you can spin it like a maniac. Doesn't indicate complicated construction. Pro/E is a parametric feature based solid modelling program. Same idea with Catia, SDRC Ideas, & unigraphics. One is GM (unigraphics), one is ford (SDRC Ideas) I think. In Aerospace, boeing is CATIA. From designer to supplier. Pro/E is no-one but everything else I think. If you're name ain't on it.

heres a simple 3D solid model in AutoCAD.

Draw, (menu command) Recangle, (menu command) point to 2 corners (with cursor)

extrude, (enter text command) select the rectangle, (with cursor) enter you're height, (type in) enter extrusion taper angle (text in degrees)

View, (menu command) 3D Viewport, (menu command) one of SW, SE, NE, NW (menu command)

shade (enter text command)

if the 4 lines, or any no. of lines, arcs, splines... are closed they must be a single unit (a polyline) before making a solid:

pedit, (enter text command) select the basic, (with cursor) y, (type in) j, (enter text command) select the adjoining basics, (with cursor box)

to create solids built of several parts (a cube with a curved lid):

Modify, (menu command) Boolean, (menu command) Union, Subtract, or Intersect, (menu command) select the adjoining solids, (with cursor box)

to create renderings, or add materials:

view, Render, (menu command) Materials Library, (menu command)

then,

view, (menu command) Render, (menu command) Render... (menu command)

These last two aren't so important in woodworking. just to be able to make each piece in relation to each other. With all rounds, joints, gaps...

Reply to
bent