A&C Kitchen Dining Set - The fat lady still has to ....

... spray some shellac.

But other than that, it's over:

The "Little Chair That Started It All":

http://65.205.120.222/images/MysteryChair1a.jpgThe end results (sans shellac):

http://65.205.120.222/images/CrftsManCh31.jpghttp://65.205.120.222/images/CrftsManCh30.jpghttp://65.205.120.222/images/ACset.jpghttp://65.205.120.222/images/ACset2.jpgThe full story, if you ain't heard it already:

Swingman

Looks very good. You may have to build a bigger dining room table to accomadate the classy chair - bench combo!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nahh ... it's designed for that spot:

http://65.205.120.222/images/ACset3.jpgActually, I made the two extra chairs (six instead of the needed four in the space), so that the table could be used in someone's else's (daughter's?) dining room after I'm long gone.

One extra chair will go under the clock, where it is no, ready for action.

And the other will go very well with SWMBO's writing desk to replace the "chair that started it all" ... providing I can convince her to give up the upholstered seat, poplar, prototype:

for the bench, she/they/future owners can put it in the hall, for all I care. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

NNNNNIIIIICCCCCEEEE!!!

Typical bass player...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Very nice.

And the whole time I pictured them being used in the front dining room.

Reply to
Leon

You are the Chair-Man

Reply to
Bob Meyer

Very nice, Swingman, very nice indeed.

*turning green*

Robatoy

S_W_E_E_T, VERY SWEET

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Beautiful work!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Pat Barber

Hi Pat,

I'll have to get back to you with a better take on the materials, but here is a _very_ accurate time breakdown, by task, for fabrication of the six chairs (not including prototyping/design time):

Mill/Layout/Cut Parts on Cut List: 30.25 Setup/route Mortises: 39.00 Initial sand/surface preparation: 19.75 Glueup: 12.75 Final Sand: 8.00 Stain: 5.75 Sealcoat TBD

105 hours/30 minutes thus far ... probably another four to six hours for the seal coat.

A Cutlist Plus run on the material for the six chars with wooden seats (QSWO @ $6.10 bf) shows $967.51 ... but I already a good deal of that in inventory left over from previous projects.

Reply to
Swingman

Why do I add that all up to 115.5? No matter, they look good how ever long it took you!!! Great work.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

What time are we all invited over for dinner?

You're going to need more chairs...

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Thanks ... you, and my spreadsheet, are correct ... 115.5 it is.

My typo.

Reply to
Swingman

"Tim Taylor" dazzled us with his mathematical ability

I was so impressed with the swingman's chair odyssey that I never thought to check his math.

I came up with 115.50 as well.

Maybe TBD means subtract ten hours??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

LOL. I'll make the gumbo .... but byol, chairs, and gumbo bowls.

Reply to
Swingman

That's a lot of time and materials but the effort certainly looks nice. Chairs have always been a "scary item" for me to tackle.

Your design appears to take some of the scary out, but that is a LOT of M&T that must be perfect.

Did't you buy >>do a T&M recap for those of us that maight be

Reply to
Pat Barber

Nice job, Swingman.

Did you refinish the floors? If you did, what did you use? I have oak floors exactly like that, but mine need to be refinished and all the results I've seen of others doing theirs wound up too bleached looking.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

My oak floors look exactly like his, I used McCloskey Gymseal. Waterlox Original's original entrance to the market was as a floor varnish.

Reply to
B A R R Y