A business trip "forces" me to Maui...

Aloha Any recommendations for a source of Koa that might also ship some back to Florida for me? I'll be in Maui for a week and am serious about buying some of that gorgeous wood for an as yet unknown project (or two). I know Jo4hn is somewhat familiar with Hawaii, anyone else? Mahalo, Tom
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

The Big Island has Umikoa Ranch (offices in Hilo http://www.umikoa.com ) and the Kona Hema Preserve on the west side of the bi, neither of which did I get a chance to visit. You might also take a look at http://www.woodshopgallery.com/mainframespage.htm . Mclaren Woodworks (Hilo side) sells koa at $24.50 bf for 4/4.
Best chance is to google for Maui koa "lumber sales". I got a couple of hits. Good luck and have fun.     mahalo,     jo4hn

I stopped at Paradise Hardwoods not far from Hilo, and Aloha Woods on the Kona side when we were there last January. Both had really nice-looking wood at similar prices to that. Different grades were a bit lower, select curly was almost 30/bf. Bought a long chunk of 8/4 Mango from Paradise too, just because it was there. Didn't go to Maui, just gazed at the coastline from the north end of the Big Island. Nice view. :-)
A lot of the shops we hit, if their main stock was bowls and boxes, had a rack or a box with scraps and cutoffs. I found a nice section of Koa round, about 6'x8'' in one of them, and one owner had some he'd just bought from a local who cleaned out his grampa's barn and he took me out back and let me pick through it. Didn't get much, I wasn't the first one to check it, but it was fun.
I'm sure there's some on Maui, but from what I heard and researched, it probably came from the Big Island. Sounded like the smaller islands have been pretty much logged out.
Dan

Dear Tom: I hate you.
Bob

<snipped>> Dear Tom:

I'll try harder next time <BSEG> Tom

Tom: W.C. Fields thought so too.
Be sure to take in avolcano while you're there. In '91 our astronomy club hit the Big Island and Maui for an eclipse trip. I was very surprised at the limited number of garish lights and signs in the state. I had expected L.A. West, but the islands were pleasantly subdued. Enjoy the trip.
Bob
That's something I'd enjoy... Roasting nuts in the fireplace has always had a warm spot in my hearth! All kidding aside Kilauea (Sp?) would be worth the trip! Tom

I have him too, as a few years back I _had_ to live in Hawaii for almost five weeks. My wife did a Master's project at the U of H Institute of Astronomy in '99.
Boy, that really sucked for me! <G>
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Sigh. A kept man living in Paradise. Too good to be true.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I'm happy you have something like this to keep you occupied. Years back I had an office in Oahu and flew to Hawaii a couple of times a month. It's a beautiful place but not when you're there and your wife is back home. I came to dread my time in Hawaii.
Vacationing there as a couple was fun though.
RB
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

Tom, If this is a travel gloat, you truly suck. Have a good trip. Mark
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

of the local commercial shops and buy cutoffs for about $6-$8bf, depending on size. I've seen a few 8/4 pieces between 2-3 feet and 10 inches wide but mostly 4/4. If the project is a a few small boxes, the cutoff bin is the way to go. I'm back to paradise after a week in Denver... it snowed there Friday morning and I was glad to get to the plane...
Jack