A Borg story with a happy ending.

To appreciate this, you have to know that I'm a smallish remodelling contractor, a decent enough carpenter and an un-accomplished woodworker. You also have to know that, like many here, I avoid BORG's -- particularly Home Depot.

To the story: Had a bunch of tools -- including my Paslode framing nailer - stolen from my garage. Went to Rona (a Canadian BORG competitive with Home Depot, to get a replacement. $420.

They had a Porter Cable package on sale -- $499 for a twin tank compressor and a PC framing nailer. Bought it.

Get home -- no nailer, just the compressor and hose in the carton. Phone Rona -- talk to the guys in tools. They say we don't have that particular nailer, but we have a slightly better one .. bring your bill in and pick it up. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Get the nailer. Stick it in my garage along with the compressor. Sits there for three weeks until I need it for a job. Think I'd better set it up and make sure it works. Yup works fine. Load it into the van. Load all the other tools I'll need. Get the PC carton out to the street in time for garbage pick up.

Next day, remember a drop cloth --- there's one over in the corner under a busted lamp. Move the lamp, pick up the drop cloth, and lo and behold, my "stolen" Paslode framing nailer.

My wife gives me one of those ---Ah, ha! Uh, huh! looks. Packaging is gone, tools have been used ... son of a gun.

Phone Rona ... talk to the guys in tools. They say bring the PC compressor and nailer back for a full refund.

Maybe it helps that I know the guys in Tools, maybe it helps that I have an account. But my guess is that they would have done it for anyone, maybe not as quickly and cheerfully, but they would have done it.

I don't like BORG's ... I don't like the "dumbing down" of staff ... I don't like the declines in quality of tools and materials .... but Rona ... or at least the one on MacLeod Trail in Calgary ... still values it's customers.

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I don't like the big ones either, Ken...but one of my favourite hardware stores is a Rona in Point Edward, Ontario. It's called Wilson Plumbing. Great bunch of guys...and they have the most eclectic collection of stuff you have ever seen. I needed some large Soss hinges to hang a full-size door...... they had them. Ya could have knocked me over with a feather.

Reply to
Robatoy

I wouldn't have had the audacity to ask for a full refund after personally destroying Rona's ability to sell the nailer as new. I guess it helps to personally know employees who are willing to give you "sweetheart" deals. With overhead like that, no wonder we have "declines in tools and materials..."

Reply to
gary

And the rest of us pay more for our purchases at Rona. That story goes well beyond good customer service and ventures into the twilight zone.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

Thanks for stopping by.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I disagree. The company got back a nailer in excellent condition that can be marked down and put on the bargain table, at a small loss or maybe break even price. Someone goes in and buys it and posts a gloat either here or to his neighbors, more people go in to see if they can get a bargain and buy other items at full markup. End results, you have two happy customers who advertise how good you are to deal with, more customers in the store, a good reputation and you have a write off on taxes. Sounds like mighty cheap, high quality advertising to me.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

It sure is. And it works.

I'm just finalizing my books from last year. I noted that for every dollar I spent at all the other BORG s combined, I spent close to $80 at the Rona on MacLeod Trail in Calgary (shamless plug).

For those who have trouble with reading comprehension, I did not build a house using the PC compressor and nailer; I fired three test nails. And I told the absolute truth about why I wanted to return it. I found the nailer I thought had been stolen ...

Rona ACCOMODATED me because I am a good customer. And I am a good customer because Rona ACCOMODATES me. The same as I ACCOMODATE Rona by not bitching whenever they make a mistake. (Remember the nailer wasn't even in the carton it was supposed to be in. They told they had three others returned -- no nailer in the kit.) Stuff happens. To them. To me.

Ken

Ken

Reply to
bambam