A BORG Story

I walked into my local BORG, located a materials cart, and went to the sheet goods section to buy some 1/4" birch plywood and 1/4" MDF. I looked around for awhile and a young man came up and helpfully asked whether he could help me. Sure, I said and told him what I wanted. He replied that they don't stock those any more. As I stood there speechless, he offered my hardboard instead of MDF and showed some yellowish looking plywood (all very warped). He did not know what kind of wood the yellow plywood was, but he knew it was from China. He then told me they had some of what I wanted left over cut into 2x4 foot sections, which served my needs for the moment, but....
As I wandered about I also noticed that they are now stocking plywood in metric thicknesses. I really don't know how to substitute for 1/4" birch, which I use a lot of for cabinet door panels. Oh well, the good part of the story is I now have almost no reason at all to enter a BORG. That's worth something!

Which is why you need a good working relationship with a LUMBERYARD.
I've heard of those. Back when I was a kid a friend's father owned one.

Lowes carries US and Canada made Plywood. Go Figure?

Odd - Lowe's carried Chile wood - owned by the oil cartel. Texas species of tree. Figures. Take the jobs, take the business, take the species developed for efficient plywood production. Figures.
Martin
sweet sawdust wrote:

Ask another "clerk" get another answer. I was told that the company that manufactured the "fence gate kit" that they had been stocking, went out of business a couple of years ago. I have been buying them elsewhere ever since.

Is it sold as metric or is it simply not 3/4", 1/4", etc? Where have you been buying actual 1/4" thick plywood lately? I have not seen that stuff in over 10 years.

Neither have I, but I suspect most home owners buying 1/4" ply at the Borg pickup 6mm without knowing (or caring) about the difference.

5.5mm or 5mm.
wrote in message

Probably the ones in Canada. In Houston I mostly see 7/32" sold as 1/4" or 23/32" sold as 3/4".
John B wrote:

Yeah, and if you can *find* their so-called 1/4" MDF, you will find that it's not a true 1/4" but something less than that (the same thickness as 1/4" plywood I suppose). I still have some TRUE 1/4" MDF that's incredibly useful; I use it for jigs and all kinds of stuff, but now I'm not sure anyone even makes it any more.
And don't get me started on the plywood thing...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Well, I grew up in Holland and was all metric until '69, when it slowly started to fade some. Guess my surprise when I went back and found a Borg ("Gamma") that had what looked like 8x4 ft sheetgoods with absolutely crayz measurements in cm.
It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Just a pain to measure accurately, whether in cm, mm, or SAE.
--
Best regards
Han