A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

Page 3 of 4

Wow 120" tall and 36" deep, does he have it in a barn and use a ladder to get to the top box?
Craftsman makes some huge tool boxes like it. Not sure where the big Milwaukee tool boxes were made.
Vietnam
But would guess not China. They are quality, as you described. I believe many years ago Made in Vietnam was common on stuff. Made in Vietnam was the precursor to Made in China. Guessing the relevant size of China made Vietnam disappear. I have several Craftsman tool boxes. Drawers are not ball bearing so the big heavy drawers take a lot of effort to open. Otherwise nothing but good things to say about Craftsman tool boxes. If I was buying new I'd look at Home Depot and Lowes offerings on tool boxes. As well as Craftsman. Lowes has their Kobalt brand in a pretty blue color.
Craftsmen has better offerings but still offer pretty crappy stuff. You have to pay about double to get the equivalent to its competition. For home use most all of the HD, Lowe's, Craftsman boxes are good but if you move the boxes to other locations, transport by truck, you really should empty or remove the drawers. It is not a stretch to load them up to near capacity and the bouncing and lifting puts strain on them that they are not designed to handle. For brands like Matco or SnapOn their weight capacity is 3-4 times more, 6-8 thousand pounds. Mechanics buying these brands typically change jobs often and the boxes have to survive the moves.

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 6:39:55 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Guessing you have this Milwaukee toolbox.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-tools/storage/48-22-8530
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-30-in-12-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Storage-Che st-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-Textured-Red-and-Black-Matte-48-22-8530/20669610 1
My friend has this one. At Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling -Cabinet-Set-Red-and-Black-48-22-8510-8520/206126307?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTH D%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7c&gclid=CIb094Pt184CFQuMaQodQLYD5w&gcl src=aw.ds
My friend's is about 4 feet wide, 6 feet high, 2 feet deep. Yours is about 3.25 feet wide, 5.5 feet high, 1.5 feet deep. Not twice as big. Just 1.5 times bigger. But if you see it in person you would say its twice as big. 19,200 cubic inches storage compared to 27,200 inches storage. $300 pric e difference.

I had it for two days. Then gave it to my son for his BD. :~)

I am seriously looking at the 46" for myself to replace my Craftsman 26". At my local HD I also found a display and boxed 52" Husky. NOT the regular Husky, built very much like the Milwaukee. Same casters as the Milwaukee. Same soft close drawers, Some type peg board style panel on the back, 2 breakered and USB multi outlets, Black wrinkle paint and gloss black drawer pulls. Rated for 2500 lbs. and 120 lb rated drawers and a 5 year warranty. And IIRC 20" deep drawers as opposed to 16". 35,757 cu. in of storage... Huge. Same price as the 46" Milwaukee. I cannot find any information on that particular 52" Husky, it is $100 more than the regular 52" Huskys.

My son's 30" was $500 the 46 is $700.
On 8/23/2016 2:31 PM, Leon wrote:

SOB that 46 just went up to $750 from yesterday.

Prices in my links above from Home Depot are $749 and $448 for the 30 inch and 46 inch Milwaukee tool boxes. Might be different on the floor of the store.

I paid $497 for the 30" in stock. The 46" Milwaukee are strictly special order,5~10 days. Expected on the 31st.
I got the 46 for $698.
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:57:12 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

$1200 left at Home Depot in a week. You are definitely on their Christmas Card list for the rest of your life.
$1200 for tool boxes. The times have changed. Close to 25 years ago I spe nt $500 on a USA made Delta Contractor saw. Thought that was a fair amount of money. Now it would just get you one tool box storage container to sto re the thousands and thousands of dollars of real tools.

And this morning I noticed that the 30" Milwaukee box cropped from $499 to $449.
I have already send this information to my CC company. They give me price protection credit up to $500.

To take to a jobsite, I'd probably use a knaack box. Their data vault series are quite useful, per my contractor buddy.
For the shop, there is nothing more satisfying than making ones own.
IIRC, it used to be a requirement for an apprentice to build his own toolbox before graduating to journeyman.
On 8/24/2016 2:52 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yes, this is true if you will be there several days. I do most of my work in my shop 95% of the time. Almost all metal rollaround tool chests have been geared towards the mechanic. It seems only in the last few years that the box makers have begun to include woodworkers. Probably why you see Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Porter Cable with their own versions now.

Well it certainly saves money. When I was looking to upgrade for the first time 10 years ago I built this one. Back then a box similar to the one I have ordered but a bit smaller was north of $1000.00
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29130720091/in/album-72157630857421932/
I also have an under bench 6 drawer cabinet that I build a yer or so ago. Nothing nearly as nice as the one pictured above. My Craftsman stacked boxes did not fare well when we moved 5 years ago and we used a box truck with lift gate. The one above did fine and is a valuable storage chest in my shop.
This time around I have too many people waiting for me to build so I am buying a replacement for the Craftsman.

On 8/24/2016 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:

I meant to include this one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29130713541/in/album-72157630857421932/
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 5:11:40 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I guess you don't subscribe to Adam Savage's theory that "Drawers are where things go to die." ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

On 8/24/2016 8:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No I do not. I know where everything is at.

And there is always the p-touch label maker...
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That guy has too many pliers, grabbers and cutters... ; ) I sort of subscribe to the drawer theory though--"out of sight, out of mind". I related thought I preach is "if you don't know where it is, what good is it?".
On 08/24/2016 4:11 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I like the chest, Leon; the single-board for the drawer fronts is nice touch.
Do you have dimensions handy? I've knocked together similar but not taken time to actually make something that looks like anything as yet, but have thoughts along those lines... :)
On 8/25/2016 8:30 AM, dpb wrote:

Yes!
The box, 56.5" tall. 43.5" wide, 24.5" deep.
That sits on a fixed mobile base, the black bottom, and casters. The base and casters are 7" tall
The box opening, 50.5" tall, 39.5" wide
The drawers, top to bottom, over all height, not actual storage depth,
3", 3.125", 4.75", 4.75", 4.75", 4.75", 7", 8", 9"
On 08/26/2016 10:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Thanks, noted! (Not that it'll get built this afternoon... :) )
I had guessed roughly that size but was curious...
Out of curiosity, what'd you use for the drawer bottoms; those could hold a fair amount of weight...
On 8/26/2016 12:48 PM, dpb wrote:

1/4" birch plywood. On the deepest drawers I reinforced by screwing in narrow strips of Ipe under the bottom of the drawer bottoms, in thirds front to back. Pocket holes in the narrow strips to tie into the drawer fronts and backs.
FWIW in 1990, when remodeling our kitchen, I stood on top of a similar sized kitchen drawer bottom to prove to my wife that 1/4" was plenty to hold her pots and pans.

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:22:01 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Who would have thought Leon's wife would be questioning his work! LOL.
Sonny I'm still laughing.... Maybe, back then, he didn't have so many green tools.... Or he didn't whistle, while he worked, so much.