A Bit Of A Silly Question

I was building some panel doors and cut the stiles a bit short. I then cut th rails a bit longer to compensate. what I now have are doors with horizon tal pieces with lengths that are the full width of the door and vertical pi eces whose length fit between the horizontal pieces. Are the vertical pieces still considered as stiles? Are the horizontal pieces still called rails? Is it their location in the door or the way they fit? BTW the recipient of the gift has not noticed.

Reply to
trvlnmny

On 2/14/2013 4:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Yes.

Reply to
dpb

The labels shouldn't change.... rails are horizontal and stiles vertical by definition.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

rails a bit longer to compensate. what I now have are doors with horizontal pieces with lengths that are the full width of the door and vertical pieces whose length fit between the horizontal pieces.

A rose by any other name ... horizontal/rails; vertical/stiles

~ For INTERIOR work, the rails traditionally go between the stiles.

The benefit - the stiles hides the end grain of the rails. (Why? For one, end grain generally finishes darker than a face or edge, therefore finish appearance is more consistent)

~ For EXTERIOR work, a _wise_ designer runs the stiles between the rails.

The benefit - end grain of the stiles are not exposed, therefore not subjected to repeated rain water pooling in susceptible end grain.

(You also see the latter used, both inside and outside, with an Arts & Crafts motif.)

Now you're covered on all bases should anyone call you on it. ;)

Reply to
Swingman