A Big Neener for me

Page 1 of 2
Not sure how it is where of you live but where I am you have to go thru so much crap just to build a shed in our neighborhood is unbelievable. Well after 5 months of meeting w/ Architect control boards and appealing their decision to the board of directors (The typical bullsh*t you have to go thru ) last night I FINALLY got approval for my garag^H^H^H^H^H errr shop (YEA ME!!) Total dimensions will be 28 x 45 w/ 15 x 28 of it going for my boat - leaving me w/ about 840 sq ft. + and entire second floor. Just a bit bigger than my 1 stall 8x14 garage I work in now ;)
To make yesterday even better - I officially began retirement. ;)
I think that qualifies as a pretty good neener
Thanks -Rob

Being retired for 10+ years I wonder why I wasted all that time working.
Making sawdust is so much better.
Bob in salem or

Amen,
Show me a man who has no hobbies, and I will show you a man who should not retire!
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
Ken Vaughn wrote:

I know a lot of guys like that, actually. We have one at work. My boss's father. He's right around 80, and working because he has no idea what he'd do with all his time if he didn't have a job.
I can't imagine, personally. I'd love to retire at 35 and spend my time puttering at things that could in no way ever hope to pay my bills.
All it takes is $1,000,000... :)
I've been thinking about this, see... All those high paid CEOs earning millions a year. They have no imagination. If I could get a job like that, I'd work a year and then retire. I don't need millions of dollars in the bank, a fancy house, fancy cars, etc. I just want enough money to pay off my house, buy two new conservative vehicles every 20 years, and cover taxes, utilities, food, and of course hobbies out the wazoo.

I've thought the same thing. As president of GM, GE, or similar sized corporations, I'd work just a few months as CEO and the board would realize I'm incompetent to run such an organization. By then I've made a quick 2 or 3 million and bail out.
Truth is, these guys are having their own form of fun ruling an empire and keeping score with stock options. That is their hobby. The don't understand us. Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net says...

My offer is to serve as Arizona Wildcats football coach for a few games, then get paid off to retire after we lose the first 5 games. Probably more lucrative than the CEO thing, and I don't get anybody else laid off because of my incompetence.
Ill add 1 more neener in there.
Im 33.
Ive got the best of 3 worlds. I have an awesome wife - 3 great kids (4mos,18mos, 3yrs) and killer hobby.
;) -R

(The short version) I started up a small e-commerce company (RegSoft.com) about 8 years ago and grew it to one of the leaders in the market. It grew to the point where we were getting in the face of our main competition too much for their liking so they bought us.
I did come contracting work for them after that to transition my people to them. After that was complete - they decided they had enough of me and I had enough of them so we parted ways. My contract ran out of Friday.
Ill give you the long version one day over a few cold ones. ;)
-R
(Rob V) says: <snip> Im 33. <snip> And, you retired, how?
JOAT I love cats, but I can never eat a whole one. - John Wamsley
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 4 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Hell yeah, man, you've got it. THAT'S IT! That's the solution to all my problems!!
All I gotta do is get a job coaching Virginia Tech's football team. Take the money and run, and by the *I'm* done with them, they will have the worst football team in the world again, and all these freaking flapping football flags will go away.
(At the base of the wall, those flags on the highway above sound like someone is firing off a machine gun in a canyon every time some SUV studded with those things sails by at 30-40 mph over the posted speed limit.)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

True.

Sounds like you want to be on welfare except you didn't mention a cellphone. Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

I don't want to be on welfare. I've earned everything I have, and I work hard. Not at some pussy 40 hour a week job either, for that matter. That doesn't mean I *enjoy* working. In fact, I *hate* working. So what? Ask my boss if he has any complaints. He doesn't. I do an *excellent* job, and I detest every minute of it.
If I can figure out a way to retire at 35, what do you care? All I need to live a very modest life from here to the end of the road is a lousy million bucks. That's not a completely unrealistic goal. Maybe one spectacular invention, a winning lottery ticket, a munificent benefactor who really likes my art. There are plenty of ways I might retire, or at least go down to a part time job (like 40 hours a week) by 35 without sucking on the government tit, and if I come up with something, what business is it of yours either way what I want to do with my time here on Earth?
Oh, and if I didn't have to work, I'd have no use for a cell phone.
Silvan wrote: If I can figure out a way to retire at 35, what do you care? All I need to

Sell $2 million at half price.     j4
Actually tried it once. Nobody believed me.
Silvan wrote:

Name three printers in colonial America... Few people can name more than one, Ben Franklin.
The only reason most people can name Ben is that he was able to retire from active printing in his mid 40's and was able to devote the rest of his life to things that interested him -- flying kites in the rain, inventing, diplomacy, and statesmanship.
It's a fair question -- would there have been a U.S. of A. if old B.F. had not been able to devote the majority of his adult life to doing whatever he felt like?
Retiring young enough to enrich the lives of others by following one's own star is (generally) a worthy goal. Best of luck achieving it.
-- Mark
P.S. By the time Mozart was my age he had been dead about 10 years.
Mark Jerde wrote:

Hey, nice inspiration!

Exactly. Carpe diem. Life's too short to spend it doing something you hate if you can possibly avoid it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RPRESHONG) wrote in

Maybe you wanted to eat, live in a house, put your (if you have any) kids in/through school, own a car that runs, be able to stuff a buck or two into a dancers gstring and pay taxes (as a loyal American). Other than that, why waste time working? Regards, Hank

There you go bringing in common sense into the thread.
But if I had won the lottery or Ed MacMann(sp) had come through as he promised I would have been able to do all that stuff.
Bob in salem or

Rob,
If you don't mind me asking what kind of shed are you building? Wood? Steal? Is it by a local or a national company? What area do you live in?
We've moved to Kentucky recently and I am living a dream. We bought 6 acres here zoned A-1 mostly all grass with about 200 trees (big and small). We are building on top of a hill so we've got a 360 degree panaramic view of the surrounding farms. The property is dirt cheap and there are no code hastles. I'm a California boy so I do know what you mean by code hastles.
The reason I ask I am looking into a 30 X 50 barn with a 16 X 30 shed attached. Concrete floor, insulated through out, ventilated, electric, roughed in plumbing, 3 walk-in doors, 6 windows, 1 - 9 X12 slide up door and 1 - 9 X 12 slide across door. It's metal siding with pole frames. 12 foot height from concrete to ceiling with wood panels on the walls up to 8 feet. The 4 feet above the wood is a metal with holes in it to deaden the sound. The ceiling is metal. It's costing me about $26.00 a sq. ft.
Roy
Its going to be a stand alone garage. Its basically going to be a mirror image of my existing garage.
Ill post some picks as the project progresses.

What area of Ky. you in?
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman