A BIG "DOH!!"

I have been storing my PC 75182 router in the extension table of my Unisaw. I have been using the one bit off and on for several months now. Today I needed to change the bit so I removed the router and saw all this stuff down inside the housing....a loud "Oh, Sh--!!" was heard close by. The router seems to run okay but I believe the screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg
Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the black plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.
Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Look like fan blades to me! Just how DID that screw get in there? Hhhhmmmmmm?
--
Nahmie
Lawrence L'Hote (in eYRCe.164217$_o.132864@attbi_s71) said:
| The router seems to run okay but I believe the | screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg
| | Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the | black plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.
Does sorta look like the remains of a cooling fan, doesn't it? That'd be my first guess.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:48:58 -0600, Lawrence L'Hote wrote

Sorry I can't answer you directly Larry, But I have one if the Craftsman routers with the self adjusting depth feature that had its cooling fins let go. At first the thing had a very noticible vibration along with a distinct harmonic in the usually motor noise. The rest of the fins then let loose and now the thing runs very smooth and _quiet_ (yes!). It did this all on its own, no external tools required.
Anyhoo, did that screw fall into your router? The plastic bits seem a tad too curved and large to be fan parts but ya just can't tell these days.
How are the vibrations? I'm sure you'd feel a distinct change with that much mass removed from the rotating bits...
-Bruce

Yes that deck screw was found inside the router along with the plastic pieces plus several pieces of wood. I was able to just dump the stuff out. With the router mounted in the table, anything falling through the bit hole could end up inside the router.....

I can't be sure just when the screw fell in and trashed the fins....with my ear muffs on I didn't really notice anything. No real vibration etc.
Larry
Larry,
The on-line manual for that fan is item 1B Part #875931 but it "looks" to be a stamped metal fan. But seeing as how there are no other fans listed in the parts breakdown - that must be it. Shouldn't be difficult at all to replace it and depending on how many hours are on it, you may want to replace the brushes also.
http://www.portercable . com and search on PC7518 (that will get you the model PC75182).
Bob S.

Thanks Bob...when I get a little time I'll dig out my owners manual and pull the router apart. I'll order that part 1B shortly. The router has less than 10 hours on it I estimate.
Larry

Could they be the end of a Shop Vac hose? My router broke off some of mine when I got it too close to the bit. They look a bit large for the cooling fan for something the size of a router.

I have ,since posting that picture , shaken 3 more plastic fins out of the housing. There is still something else inside there that sounds like another piece of plastic when the router starts up. I was asking if someone, with the same router, could look down into the bit end of the housing and see if they could see a black plastic fan in there. I'll go by the Home Depot today and take a look at one of their display routers.
Larry

You sure it's a router and not a Buick 8?
"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message
if

There is ... no doubt about it. Hard to tell if it is plastic, but it is definitely a multi-finned cooling fan.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05