A Bessey convert! (no more pipes for me)

Just got the 24/40 Bessey set that I ordered from Amazon last week ($100 delivered). All I can say is now I know why woodworkers like these so much. These are my first Bessey's - for the last 15+ years or so I have used pipe clamps.
First, I was impressed with the weight of the clamps - I never expected this - really well machined, silky mechanism & heavy duty.
Second, the operation is so simple, that I can't see how it would bind (unless you got glue on it or something). My pipe clamps seem to bind at the worst times during a glue-up. Now I know why Norm uses them.
Third, they have a nice deep throat (good movie title ;->). The pony pipe fixtures I use(d) have a too small throat for many situations.
Fourth, the Bessey block set that came with the clamps will make panel/door assemblies a lot easier & effecient.
Lastly, the price of these clamps ($25 each at this price) is not a whole lot more than buying the pipe fixture & black pipe.
If you have never tried a Bessey, you might want to give them a try. Amazon's current price of $140 is not bad if you use a $25 coupon, but if you check often, and see them drop to $125, you might want to grab one (and forget about Rockler).
From now on, my pipes will be back-up to the Bessey collection which I have only just started.
(I guess this is sort of a mini gloat).
Lou

Yes, they're definitely heavy, but I am not sure why that is an attribute in this case.
What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?
--
Rumpty

Like I said, this was my first Bessey purchase.
If I have to do a large glue-up, I'll use my pipes (have 6 footers). For more, I screw them together with a union.
There are 98 inch Besseys for around $75 I believe.
Lou

Nobody throws away clamps! Just because there are 20 of one type doesn't mean that there aren't a dozen of another, in another corner.
You're right, though. Only David Eisan has KBodies big enough to do a king sized bed, but he uses them to glue up kitchen cabinet doors. The rest of us use pipes for the big stuff.
This time of year, though, there's no room to do 8' glue ups. Those are done outside, when the weather permits, in my 'shop annex', where the truck usually is parked.
Patriarch
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:12:58 GMT, patriarch

put a bench dog on the front bumper and a backstop on the rear shop wall?

Buy the 98" besseys? What do I win? SH
For up to 8ft glue up's, I use my 100in GrossStabil PC2 clamps <vbg>
Bessey makes a 98in Kbody
John

Where do you get a $25 coupon?
--
Hank Gillette

Often when you are shopping at Amazon your coupon so to speak is a discount code that is entered at check out. You get the code when clicking "Learn More" about the $25 discount.

I did the same a few months back. The only thing I don't like about them is the way glue gets in the teeth of the bar, other than that they are great.