A beautiful thing

I'm quite sure I'll never be a full-on Neander, but I gotta tell ya that there is indeed great pleasure in working with a quality handtool.
Last night in the shop, sneaking up on fitting the flush-inset drawers of my 1st project, it was greatly satisfying to use my 1st purchased-new handplane:
http://www.compassimages.com/pub/Woodworking/images/beautiful_thing01.jpg
http://www.compassimages.com/pub/Woodworking/images/beautiful_thing02.jpg
Thanks, Mr. Lee, for putting it in the box "ready to use." :^)
-Chris
To really sneak up on the fit, the curlies should be transparent and have to be vacuumed off the ceiling.
You're on the slipper slope now.
You'll find neandering to be compatible with late night woodworking - when quiet rules. The sound of a japanese pull saw, the almost imperceptible noise a paring chisel makes as it slices of a small shaving of wood, a shoulder plane taking off just the skosh needed for the joint to go together just so, a smoothing plane or scraper wooshing over wood, leaving a shiny burnished surface behind.
In the calm of the night use a quiet and calming tool.
But when it's daylight and the noise level begins to rise - kick on the dust collector and compressor and fire up the table saw, miter saw, joiner and planer!
charlie b (who wants thought all you needed was a cabinet saw, a jointer and a planer - ok - and a router or two - and a few clamps - ya gotta have clamps)
charlie b wrote:

Haha!! Good imagery. Yeah, I'm sure mine weren't the thinnest of shavings the world's seen. But gratifying none-the-less.

I admit - I currently have the medium shoulder plane in my "basket" at LV :^)

And still being able to hear the chorus of frogs chriping outside.

Yeeaahhh, Baby!
-Chris
On 31 Mar 2005 10:18:36 -0800, "TheNewGuy"
Glad you're enjoying it. I have one that used to belong to my father ...and I'm old! I still use it all the time, along with a few others. Keep it sharp and aligned, and always let the tool do the work.

Guess who wrote:

others.
Yup, while I was able to use it "right out the box," the next skill set I need to acquire is sharpening! (A book each on hand planes and sharpening are in the "basket" alongside that shoulder plane I mentioned to Charlie above...)
Thanks, Chris
On 6 Apr 2005 15:19:36 -0700, the inscrutable "TheNewGuy"

Wait until you buy a can of Johnson's Wax. The slope gets faster. ;)

Si!
Look for the book set "Hand Tool Classics" by Taunton. One book is Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book" and the other is his "Classic Hand Tools." List price is $39.95, I got them as remainders from Hamilton Books for $15 or so. (No, they're all gone, but look around.)
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development