a.b.p.w

The two newsgroup servers I have access to don't contain the alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking newsgroup. Does anyone know of any free access newsgroup servers out there with this newsgroup available? I've done some searching on this and come up empty-handed.

Thanks, PJ

Reply to
PJ

's a one-time $3.95 signup fee, and sometimes it's pretty sloooowwww.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Has this been reliable for you? I wonder how they can keep in business (and how long they've been in business) only charging $3.95 for potentially expensive servers.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

I've had them as my secondary (backup) newsserver for years. I signed up before there was even a charge for the free accounts. I'm posting this message from teranews because it always works sending. I haven't figured out why, but my large ISP's newserver, verizon.net, often has problems sending.

Teranews makes money on people who need more bandwidth (50MB/day ?) than the free accounts allow. I suppose if one is into internet movies the free account is rather limiting. ;-) They must have enough paying customers because they've been around IIRC since before the .com explosion and implosion.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

If you just want the pictures,

(bottom of that page).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I second the motion for Teranews. Just like Mark, I signed up before the initiation fee. I use it when I'm at work since my home ISP uses IP addresses to authenticate. It gets so slow that it can be unusable during my lunch hour, so I guess I'm not the only one goofing off at work.

Oh, when it is slow, I have had problems with sending. The message can just disappear.

But in spite of the above, I recommend it and use it. One good thing, the binaries are on separate servers and don't seem to be overloaded like the text server.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

They've been around for quite a while. Actually, their free account ($3.95 setup fee) may be fine for you to just read the Wreck. Start there and you can always upgrade (it's the high volume accounts where they make their money), but all levels are pretty reasonable.

Shawn

PJ wrote:

Reply to
Shawn

For a while I was with a ISP that did lousy NG service. I had a free Teranews account, and decided to try their pay per month account. The deference was night and day! If you want groups and can afford the $8.95 a month, the pay servers rock! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Me too !

I've been with Nildram as an ISP, who offer a broadband service that works pretty well, and usenet that doesn't. They had two usenets; a bought-in feed from Supernews (great, but always busy) and an in-house server that was useless. As of a couple of days ago, I'm paying $6/month for a full-blown Supernews and it's wonderful. I can post to moderated groups again, the speed is good, but best of all it's reliable and I don;t have to fool with my system's config on a daily basis.

Andy Dingley

Reply to
Sprog