9" plane

I was wondering if someone can tell me anything about this plane. Craftsman 9 inch smooth plane with I guess a stock # 9-3742 on the original box. The reason is that the neighbor across the street just gave it to me. No more use for it, he says. He's 86 yrs old. It is stamped made in america still in original box and the gray plate has not a scratch on it. I would just like to know its value as it is something I have not paid for but would like to know. Thank you .
O D wrote:

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Craftsman+3742+plane&btnG=Search
That is really cool man you totally lucked out! You might want to get a new Ron Hock A2 steel blade for it, could be the same blade that fits the Stanley #4 smoother. Very nice of the neighbor!
Alex
Depends on who made it, IMHO. Miller's Falls made planes for Sears on and off for many years, and in that sense you might have a good user, check the quality of the machining and overall fit; with some tuning up it will likely perform well. As far as value as a user it depends on how much you use it; in terms of dollars, its not a primo collectible per se, although if really cherry someone who collects Sears planes (a distinct minority of the tool collector world) might pay $30 or so for it, maybe a bit more; other than that figure $20, as you can get servicible 50's vintage Stanleys, not cherry mind you, for under $30, and I'd rather have a good Stanley user after a tune up over anything Sears marketed. But it was very nice of your neighbor to think of you and its a nice gift.
Mutt
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O D) wrote in message

It is strange you mention miller falls. The man who gave it to me , his name is art miller. We are in a retirement area and I was not looking for a price to sell it. This is one tool that will never be sold. Just want to know the value of tools that are in my hand. I am only a hobbyist in wood but learning from this group and the community sawdust engineers here. Some day I will give it to one of my kids or sons-in-law, with the provision to give to someone when they are done with it. I was just surprised o see it was made in the good old US of A. It may not be a cadillac of planes but the man who gave it to me sure is one.