Subject Author Posted Replies

New Stuff for Woodworking
I receive the latest Rockler catalog and noticed that they now offer a CNC for just over $2k. Apparently it will use a Bosch Colt sized router. Additionally Amana has a Larry Bird/Byrd endorsed set of...
18
18

Mag. motor starter or contactor?
Variable Frequency Drive drives a 10 HP 3-phase 208V motor, drawing ~20A. Need to turn off power to VFD (and some accessories: fan and light) using a contactor. What is the difference between a...
3
3

Miter Saw Mod Finished
I got a 10", compound, non-slider, miter saw from HF awhile back. Works well, except it did need just a touch of tuning to get a true 90 degree cut. The cut isn't wide enough, but I'd already figured...

Sander Sitter - Do they extend life of ROS sandpaper?
Does anyone use one of these? Wondering if it really extends the life of sandpaper/ provide a good base for the sander when not in use or just another consumer gimmick? Thanks..
17
17

"Woodworking" Magazine goes Subscription
"Woodworking", the no-ad, newsstand only, no-BS, very well written magazine, by some of the Popular Woodworking editors has gone subscription! This has become my favorite magazine, when I can actually...
28
28

Mini lathe Rikon vs Jet
Anyone have any experience with either of these, in particular the Rikon is the Model 70-100 mini lathe and the Jet would be 708375. Woodcraft sells both for $249.99. This weekend they have a 10% off...
1
1

O/T: OLd Farts
Old but still funny. +++++++++++++++++++++ Don't mess with the older generation!! HOW TO CALL THE POLICE WHEN YOU'RE OLD AND DON'T MOVE FAST ANYMORE. George Phillips of Meridian, Mississippi was going...
70
70

How Do You Know When to Replace Sandpaper?
How do you know when to replace the sandpaper on an orbital sander? Otoe
26
26

hvlp
from HF. . .any comments on this one; Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
32
32

CNC Wood Routing Service?
I'm curious if anyone is aware of anything like , only for wood. I'd like to have some MDF routed (speaker boxes), and some of the geometry of the cuts are not easily done using traditional methods....
1
1

LH Primus reform smoothing plane
Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any expiriance with this tool. How is it a "handed" tool ? All 14 of my other planes make no distinction of this feature. I'm interested but at the same time...
2
2

FWW furniture building contest
Has anyone decided to take part in the FWW furniture building contest? If your not familiar the rules are pretty basic. Must be Maple. Should be built from one 10in x 10ft x 8/4 piece or not more than...
2
2

Thinking of organizing a Steinway (NYC) tour.
I'm thinking of organizing a 'wreck group factory tour of the NYC Steinway factory. It would be free, and anyone who can get to Grand Central Station by ~ 8:15-8:30 AM on a Monday or Tuesday is...
3
3

Woodworking Shows In Eastern Massachustts?
Hi, Are there any shows being held in eastern Mass? Particularly some that demonstrate traditional Japanese hand tools? Many years ago I used to go to shows in Marlboro. A luthier by the name of...
1
1

Sharpening carbide router bits
When I Google this topic I get a variety of sharpening tips most using "diamond paddles" which I've found at Rockler and other sites for a reasonable price ($14.99 for 3 grits). I'm wondering if you...
3
3