8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

Page 2 of 2

The primary legitimate reason for 8/4 costing more than 4/4 is based on *grading* of the lumber.
It is more difficult to get the same grade when sawing 8/4 as compared to 4/4.
If the lumber is not graded there is minimal justification for a higher price.
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:01:06 -0700, "DouginUtah"

From what I know from my local suppliers, I totally agree.
I don't get the 2X price the OP mentioned, though...

Just to add to the current discussion, I happened to the yard yesterday to buy some white oak:
4/4 was $4.76 5/4 was $5.76 8/4 was $5.46
All S2S.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:23:38 -0800 (PST), Larry Bud

Even more, check my guy out:
<http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/pricelists/ctwoodgroup_hardwoodpricelist.pdf
Compare white oak, where the difference is as much as $4/bf for quartersawn, and sapele, where the difference is only $0.35/bf.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

Have they quit carrying the Argentine hardwoods? I haven't been by there in a while and I notice that they no longer have them in the price list.
--John
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:20:51 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Now that you mention it, the "exotic" section at the bottom of the list is gone.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

If so it's a bummer. They had some really nice stuff.
--John
I can't believe how much people pay for quality wood. Do a google search for sawmills in your area, also check http://www.switchboard.com for them. Then go talk to the owner. Most small sawmills will sell you whatever you need. I've bought as little as one board, or 1000bft lots. If you can dry your own wood, it gets even cheeper. The last lot of birdseye maple I bought was $1.00 a board foot, $0.50 for character grade walnut, and $0.50 for cherry. Here's a link to some cheep lumber in East Tennessee:
http://www.tpost.com/results.aspx?key=lumber
And the ads online today:
KILN DRIED LUMBER Red Oak, White Oak, Hard Maple, Soft Maple, Walnut, Poplar, Hickory, Ash & Cherry Call for info & prices
LUMBER 500 BD ft kiln dried cherry, 8' lengths, 6-8" widths, 1" thick $500
LUMBER CEDAR LUMBAR, 510lf $1020 for all
LUMBER CEDAR, 100 board foot $200 for all
LUMBER CHERRY AND walnut 100 board feet $150
2500 FT LUMBER MIXED CHERRY, Walnut, Oak, Poplar $1500
LUMBER WALNUT, 220+ bft, kiln dried, lv msg $500
LUMBER WALNUT, 500' +, 35yr seasoned $600, also 100' of Wormy Chestnut $150
You can find locally produced wood from your area just as cheep if you look hard enough. Also, go the the websites of portable sawmills, (Woodmizer, etc.) They have lists of people who have bought their machines. Find someone in your area and contact them. Have them call you when they have lumber to sell.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:39:33 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I don't have time to blow 4 or 5 hours to drive to the closest sawmill, especially since I don't have a truck and can only haul around a few pieces in my Saturn. And if it's to save $50, it's still not worth it when I could use one of those hours to do some side programming and make $80.

If you think his figures show a 50 buck savings, then you need to back off and re-think. A buck a board foot for kiln dried cherry should yield sufficient FAS, commons and whatnot to save at least 500 bucks. If you get lucky, that amount could triple.
Can you borrow a truck for a day? Attach a trailer to your Saturn?
One of the fine advantages to country living is that what I don't have, my friends or neighbors do have, so hauling pretty much anything isn't a hassle, except for the work and the gas.

Absolutely right. And you'd be even better off by staying with your programming and paying someone else to do the woodworking you want done. Stick with what you're best at.
John Martin

Ron,
Thanks for that link. Where in etn are you?
jc
"Joe" wrote in message

Just look for a bunch of chickens ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Ron c. wrote:

That'd be dandy if I lived somewhere that had trees.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:02:19 -0700, Mark & Juanita

That's funny, I don't care who you are!
Can a Woodmiser saw cactus? <G>

Have you ever actually been to any of areas some of us live in?
Charlie Self, remember "East Westchester County"? <G>
I have absolutely no way to store more than say, 150 bf/ft of stock, much less unusable stock that isn't dry. Since a 1/2 acre empty lot in my neighborhood goes for ~$75,000, I think the lumber dealer is providing me with a good value by holding all that stock until I need it. <G>
On Dec 14, 12:55 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I was born in Yonkers, raised in an area including Mt. Vernon, N. Pelham, New Rochelle, and then up to Katonah and the "country." Actually, when we moved ther ein '53, Katonah was pretty much country. I left Westchester in January 1958, and have had no reason to return for about 35 years now. The friends I had from that era are living in places like Santa Barbara and upstate NY and Arizona and Nevada.