8 1/2" versus 12" sliders?

Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other advantage to a 12"? Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8 1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

I've never owned a 12" so can't really speak to their usefulness or lack thereof. I just purchased the Makita LS1013 10" to put wood flooring down with. So far, it's worked very well and I can't imagine why I would need the extra size of a 12" (although everyone's neeeds are different of course). Cheers, cc
Toller wrote:

$50 rebate on them right now.
Dave

They have the 1013 fo 439.99, but no rebate; so I looked it up on the website. No rebate there either, but it was 469.99! You get a $30 discount for reading their circular.
I also looked it up at Makita.com. They do not show the promotion.
"

If you don't mind reconditioned, http://www.tylertool.com/malsre.html
I bought mine from them and I'm convinced it was a brand new unit. Cheers, cc

Amen to the 1013 Makita. It came tweaked-to-the-nuts out of the box along with a free Makita 9/16" hammer drill. I tested some crown inside and out mitres (6"-45 )cutting them flat using the tables listed in the manual and verifying them with the Bosch digital protractor ( a MUST have for anybody doing trim, IMHO..it's just too easy and accurate.
I had an 92.35-degree inside mitre to do. Looked up my manual, set it up, followed the pictures. First try. I was so happy I giggled like a school-girl.
That is a nice saw.
Read an article recently, after I bought a 12" Dewalt compound miter saw which said that the larger blade can reduce accuracy. i.e. it's harder to make a truly "true" 12' blade run true! Makes sense I guess. Certainly it depends on your working tolerances.
Toller wrote:

Not at all true. It's just as likely that a small blade will have runout as a large one. Doesn't matter if the thing is wobbling 1/4". It still has the same center of rotation. Only difference will be the kerf width. Ever used a wobble dado? Serious runout. You may not like the quality of the finished dado but it will be where you want it, cut after cut.

CW wrote:

the accuracy and the smoothness of the cuts. The cuts are so smooth they seem as if they were gone over with a plane.
Dave