7" hole saw?

Sister got a pellet stove. Needs 7" hole cut in side of house. I need a 7" hole saw, right? Can't seem to find one that big. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Use a saber saw.

Reply to
Nova

Draw a line around the stove pipe and use a jig saw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rental Agency

Reply to
Leon

Through what material? If there are studs in the way a reciprocating saw is likely the right too. If not a sabre saw, or if a really clean hole is wanted, I've used a spiral saw (RotoZip) w/circle cutter with good results.

Reply to
krw

I think he just wants a permanent hole. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I sure hope that 7 inches is for a Class A flue pipe.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
spaco

A compass, drill and jigsaw (or Sawzall or keyhole saw).

Reply to
Phisherman

You are kidding aren't you?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

First off... newbie alert. I may as well jump in though.

Most any of the suggestions so far will work fine. I've done it with recip. saw, jig saw, and router (and dremel with a router bit). The router requires a short piece of wood screwed to the router base and then the other end tacked in at the center of the circle. Obviously it takes a few passes and extra care on the final pass.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Brick or stone?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Kidding about what? I have a 6" hole saw. It takes a bit of work to use but it's not impossible. Check woodworking stores and big box lumber yards. You should find a 7" saw. It won't be cheap though.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Understand; however, 7" is a long way from 6" when you're talking about hole diameters.

BTW, 6" is the largest shown by Morse,

BTW, sure hope you have a SLOW right angle drill to handle that beast.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Even then, a 7" class A flue pipe will need 2" clearance from combustibles so that would make the hole 11" in diameter. If he is cutting wood, he needs a chimney fitting designed to fit into the wall to provide the necessary clearance and to cover the gap with a finished ring inside and outside.

Reply to
EXT

Lew;

You are correct, it is a beast. Fortunately I only had to cut through about 1" of wood. Just use a light pressure and rock the saw in a circular motion.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Note that it is a pellet stove. The take a 3" flue so that works out to 7".

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It doesn't make sense. A 3" flue plus 2" clearance on both sides can be 7". I don't know much about pellet stoves, but don't they need an insulated flue, at least 1" of insulation would give a 1" inside diameter on a 3" outside diameter flue. You cannot be just installing a 3" naked metal pipe through the walls or ceiling. Please clarify.

Reply to
EXT

The two inches around the three inch pipe is the insulation clearance required for a zero clearance flue system. This insulation is accomplished by inserting the three inch flue pipe inside the seven inch through hull pipe. The two inch space between the inner and outer pipes provides room for cool air to flow and prevent the hot combustion gases inside the 3 inch pipe from causing charring and burning of the wall material.

Dave N

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Yeah, that's the gist of it. I was half kidding about the hole saw, but I'd give it a shot if I could find one relatively cheaply. I'm just going through drywall, sheething and siding, so it's no big deal. I've seen some sort of abrasive saw that's 6.875", but no seven inchers even on google.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You have that right. I bought a 4 1/8" at Lowe's about 5 yrs ago and it was $37! Choose another alternative.

Reply to
C & E