7" hole saw?

Page 1 of 2
Sister got a pellet stove. Needs 7" hole cut in side of house. I need a 7" hole saw, right? Can't seem to find one that big. Any suggestions? Thanks.
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Use a saber saw.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Draw a line around the stove pipe and use a jig saw.

Rental Agency
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

I think he just wants a permanent hole. ;-)
--
Keith

In article <6bc637dc-3323-4df3-a5d3-

Through what material? If there are studs in the way a reciprocating saw is likely the right too. If not a sabre saw, or if a really clean hole is wanted, I've used a spiral saw (RotoZip) w/circle cutter with good results.
--
Keith

I sure hope that 7 inches is for a Class A flue pipe.
Pete Stanaitis --------------
Jay Pique wrote:

Even then, a 7" class A flue pipe will need 2" clearance from combustibles so that would make the hole 11" in diameter. If he is cutting wood, he needs a chimney fitting designed to fit into the wall to provide the necessary clearance and to cover the gap with a finished ring inside and outside.

Note that it is a pellet stove. The take a 3" flue so that works out to 7".

It doesn't make sense. A 3" flue plus 2" clearance on both sides can be 7". I don't know much about pellet stoves, but don't they need an insulated flue, at least 1" of insulation would give a 1" inside diameter on a 3" outside diameter flue. You cannot be just installing a 3" naked metal pipe through the walls or ceiling. Please clarify.
EXT wrote:

required for a zero clearance flue system. This insulation is accomplished by inserting the three inch flue pipe inside the seven inch through hull pipe. The two inch space between the inner and outer pipes provides room for cool air to flow and prevent the hot combustion gases inside the 3 inch pipe from causing charring and burning of the wall material.
Dave N

Yeah, that's the gist of it. I was half kidding about the hole saw, but I'd give it a shot if I could find one relatively cheaply. I'm just going through drywall, sheething and siding, so it's no big deal. I've seen some sort of abrasive saw that's 6.875", but no seven inchers even on google.
JP

Starrett doesn't make a 7" saw, but they do make a 6-31/32" saw. Close enough?
The sizes over 6" are for specific purposes, rather than a range of sizes incrementing by sixteenths or eigths. Largest is 8-9/32".
John Martin
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 07:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique

A compass, drill and jigsaw (or Sawzall or keyhole saw).
Jay Pique wrote:

You are kidding aren't you?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

but it's not impossible. Check woodworking stores and big box lumber yards. You should find a 7" saw. It won't be cheap though.
Dave
"David G. Nagel" wrote:

Understand; however, 7" is a long way from 6" when you're talking about hole diameters.
BTW, 6" is the largest shown by Morse,
BTW, sure hope you have a SLOW right angle drill to handle that beast<grin>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You are correct, it is a beast. Fortunately I only had to cut through about 1" of wood. Just use a light pressure and rock the saw in a circular motion.
Dave

You have that right. I bought a 4 1/8" at Lowe's about 5 yrs ago and it was $37! Choose another alternative.
C & E wrote:

Harvey