Subject Author Posted Replies

sharpies and poly and skunk lines on a cribbage board
Hello, I am making a few cribbage boards. I am drawing the "skunk" lines on the board My first try I did it with a fine point sharpie. I let the sharpie dry for about an hour. When I put on the first...
12
12

Greene & Greene Style
There was a discussion a few months ago about Darrell Peart's book on Greene & Greene furniture ( I got to meet and take a weekend class from him last summer to learn some of the details on this...
12
12

OT Humor: What is Celibacy?
Celibacy can be a choice in life, or a condition imposed by circumstances. While attending a Marriage Weekend, Walter and his wife, Ann, listened to the instructor declare, 'It is essential that...
14
14

Grizzley Offers Free Shipping
You might want to take a look if you are in the market for some new equipment. Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking...
4
4

What is it? Set 270
Might be another difficult set, I need help figuring out three of them this week: http://55tools.blogspot.com/Rob
35
35

Successor to Carver Tripp water-based finishes?
I used to use Carver-Tripp water-based wood stains and wa ter-based (or rather glycol-based) Danish wax. Are pro ducts like these made today?
1
1

OT: Worst album covers
TOTALLY off topic but too funny not to share. 50 worst album covers.... Yup, what were they thinking? Chicago Tribune: Your source for Chicago breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather...
8
8

Hinge mortising jig
Hi, I'm searching a jig to route the hinge mortises on my doors, I've found Bosch 83038. I know Leevalley used to have one but they don't anymore, anyone have suggestions. Thanks.
14
14

Hardwood in Dallas, Texas
My favorite hardwood vendor in Dallas has been Blue Linx (formerly Austin) Hardwoods. I drove by there last week and they had closed. I went over to Hardwood Lumber and they have moved and downsized...
8
8

Stapling Drawer Bottoms and Cabinet Backs
I'm curious if anyone has heard of or seen a stapler that is made to shoot at a 45d angle - such as you might use to affix drawer bottoms and cabinet backs into a grooved assembly. We just made a...
2
2

Jointer usage question
I recently bought a used jointer so I don't have a lot of experience using a jointer yet. This is a "newbie" question. I needed a little extra mahogany to make the legs of the third and final table in...
6
6

Examples of various finishes on different woods
I'm currently working in walnut but oak and mahogany are also in line to be used. I have a variety of finishes on hand including tung oil, salad bowl oil, lemon oil, varnish, and shellac. Is there any...
6
6

brad point vs twist point
what is the different application? woodcrafters is having a sale and I am interested just not sure which to get or get both sets. thanks
5
5

advice on building deck
hi all, not sure if this is the correct group, so I hope I don't upset any one! I want to build a copy of deck that I saw in a book. Here's a picture; 've never tried something like this before, so I...
6
6

Thinning Deft
The directions for Deft say not to thin it. If necessary, they have a proprietary thinner, but I've always thought that lacquer thinner was OK to use. Does anyone have a strong opinion about this? I...
9
9