60 INCH Aluminum bar clamps 11.99CDN

Page 4 of 4

from his reply to me. In my book at that moment he became an instant asshole. I liked his dad, we even had coffee once many moons ago when I worked for Eatons, but Robin is just a poor imitation of his old man.
Chris Melanson wrote:

Chris, you are missing a bit of history. This guy has "expressed" a strong bias against Lee Valley, and you should take a look to see the kinds of comments he's been posting. The thread subject is "Americans seem to be getting a better deal from Lee Valley" but he's set the X-No-Archive flag on his messages, so you won't find his postings on google groups; you'll have to find them on your local news server (or someone could provide you with a copy).
- Daniel
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:32:05 GMT, "Chris Melanson"

Only if you utterly ignore context. Which most of the people on this NG were smart enough not to do.
Robert has a beef against Lee Valley, a company many of us have dealt with and like quite a lot. About the only use he makes of this forum is to snipe at them. It gets real old real quick and not unreasonably produces resentment on the part of the people who choose to wade through his bile.

No, that is clearly not what he was doing.

Then you obviously didn't read very closely -- or you have a damned odd definition of 'condemn LV'. Study up on 'implication'. If you honestly believe that statement then you're the sort of prize sucker that both US presidential candidates are so earnestly courting right now.

Implying that Lee Valley was gouging its customers.

If you thought you could buy that $20 widget for $5 you're the sort of idiot who keeps Harbor Freight in business.
Good Lord! I'd expect anyone with the smarts to read this news group to be well aware of the fact that the market is flooded with woodworking tools that look alike but don't perform anything alike. That's elementary and if you haven't figured it out by now then you're wasting your money buying cheap crap that will make you work harder and won't deliver the results you want.

How about "if one person is fed up with a twit, a lot of people are probably fed up with the same twit"?

And you will undoubtedly be disappointed -- if you're truly comparing quality for quality.
<snip>
Robert is merely an annoying little net troll. You OTOH are positively irritating.
<Double Plonk>
--RC

"You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:03:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

And confirmed by Robin.:)
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:05:56 GMT, Robert

Has anyone answered the question of whether or not they are the SAME clamps?
JP

I decided to go to my son's school fitness walk this afternoon rather than go to Princess Auto.
But as I said earlier... I saw 60" aluminum bar clamps at House of Tools a few months back on sale in the same price range. They were garbage.
I've never ordered anything from Lee Valley and had garbage arrive.
So while $12 may be an incredibly low price for a 60" aluminum bar clamp, what you're buying is a $12, 60" aluminum bar clamp.

They're a different colour (and that's about all you can see from the photo).
Given the way of such things, either LV are having cheap red clamps specially re-painted to their order, or these are the same red clamps I see eveywhere else. Now the Princess photo is unreadable, but the LV photo is reasonably good. The LV clamps aren't the same as the red ones I have, and strongly suspect mine are the same as the Princess ones.
Do Princess Auto have any good deals on KlueHammahs ? We clearly need one.
One thing Lee Valley don't sell though: http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/clueiron /
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:10:36 +0100, Andy Dingley

Soooo...we still don't know if they're the same clamps, albeit with different paint.

Clearly? I'm a huge Lee Valley fan Andy, and as such I'd like to be able to tell Robert to go fuck himself after I confirm that the Princess Auto clamp is of much inferior quality to the one provided by LV.
In the alternative, if they are the same clamps, I'd like to be able to say to Robert "thanks for the heads up, NOW go fuck yourself".

Hey man, I'm on your side. Chill out - you're only feeding his need.
JP
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:46:17 GMT, Robert

No.
Try reading Fine Woodworking (it's a magazine - I doubt you've seen it). Last issue had a large head-to-head on different clamp brands.
Now for your "Princess Auto" clamps, they look awfully similar to ones I get here in the UK as "Silverline". I love these clamps, even though they cost me $25 from Screwfix. They're still pretty cheap, and they're lightweight. They're very badly made though - everything is sloppy, half the pin retainer clipss are missing, and they have the worst rolled threads I've ever seen. Still, it means I can afford a dozen "sash clamps" and they weigh little enough that I can use them all on one glue-up without crushing it.
The Lee Valley product is obviously different - I can see at least five differences from the ones I have, from the colour to the amount of slop and loss of vertical register.
So, if you want the Princess ones, go to it - you won't regret it. If you want something a little better for what is still a pretty low price, then look at the LV ones.
--
Smert' spamionam

Anybody got a tuna boat?
UA100
Uh ... you working your way up to the entire tuna fleet, including dockage & processing facilities?
Rick

Rick wrote:

Nope. Just one to throw at someone.
UA100

[ Going for the woodworking tie-in... ]
Har. Har. Har...
patrick conroy wrote in rec.woodworking

sock on one and Al said it was some fungus infested wood species. Har harhar.
--
BigDog,
To E-mail me, you know what to do.