60 INCH Aluminum bar clamps 11.99CDN

Not much chance of that.

Not quite. Lee Valley provides quality products and services at an exorbitant price to their Canadian customers in order to subsidize the lower prices they are required, by virtue of competition, to provide their American customers.

Reply to
Robert

Oh done. But I had to get that pair off my chest.

-_RC "You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"

Reply to
rcook5

And I apologize for not following my own advice.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:34:24 -0600, chaffing in his completely flooded extra large Depends poor Dave Blatterstone dribbles the following:

Like I told ya Dave, a complete lack of self control.

Reply to
Robert

Anybody got a tuna boat?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Well, you have it in your power to stop his evil scheme. Just don't buy from him. Purchase from what ever supplier gives you the most bang for the buck. If his pricing is, indeed, out of line, eventually, the lack of sales will dictate a change in the pricing policies.

That is how I spend my money. I can find inexplicable differences in product prices within the US. I buy from reputable suppliers who offer good service and reasonable prices. I suggest you do the same.

Reply to
Al Reid

Not new, been here for over three years,on other newsgroups over ten years. Don't bother with a google search as I've posted under other names.

Please explain. I've been a Lee Valley customer longer than I've been a woodworker or participated in this group. I support Robin and if I'm a thug, Mr. Lee has never contacted me or asked for help. I like the company. I also feel you are making statements with no real knowledge of facts.

If you think I'm harshnow, just knock my beloved Craftsman tools.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

Uh ... you working your way up to the entire tuna fleet, including dockage & processing facilities?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

For the archives.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Is that the best reply you could think of?

Reply to
TeamCasa

within the US. I buy from reputable suppliers

Unfortunately Lee Valley has no real competition in the Canadian marketplace. So they charge us more to subsidize lower prices for YOU, Americans, where they do have competition.

Reply to
Robert

All I have seen is personal attacks. No one has disputed my facts. Facts are Canadians pay more than Americans for items from a Canadian company. Fact two Lee Valley makes more profit from it's individual Canadian customers.

Reply to
Robert

At that particular moment yes. It an ages old generic usenet putdown and it has tested very well over the years.

Reply to
Robert

prices within the US. I buy from reputable suppliers

That's OK. It helps to make up for us in the States subsidizing your lower priced prescription drugs

Reply to
Al Reid

prices within the US. I buy from reputable

prescription drugs

Well when I start buying hundreds of dollars worth of drugs a year I might appreciate that. The only drug I've bought in the last 15 years is generic asa.

Reply to
Robert

Well, I don't dispute your observation that the CAD prices often look out of line with USD prices. However, you claim that it's because either the Canadian market is not as competitive allowing a higher price, or that the company is out to scalp its Canadian customers.

I'll attach a previous message that suggests LV may be scalping no more than approx. 3% at the time the prices are set, which are well in advance of when we the customer sees them. Given that the CAD has in recent history been the loosing currency, I don't see that buffer as that big a malicious thing.

If I'd have known back in June that the CAD would appreciate so steeply over the next few months, I'd be a rich man. Fact is that nobody really knows with absolute certainty what exchange will be like.

(And we haven't begun to account for foreign goods that are imported and paid for in USD...)

See attached message. If you have data for previous years' (take the low angle block plane, just to serve as an example) USD/CAD pricing, let's analyze it.

To be determined from exercise above.

Reply to
Daniel H

Seems like YOU are the one that started that with your snide remarks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Key word: Subsidize

I don't know and don't care if he is charging a different profit margin on the US and CDN products, but how do you know he is subsidizing our parts. I think you are not using that word properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Because he basically said so? Read below. Lee Valley can't help out Canadian customers who pay too much right now because of loses >

Reply to
Robert

Nope. Just one to throw at someone.

UA100