60 INCH Aluminum bar clamps 11.99CDN

Page 3 of 4

I'm not protesting at all.
I'm laughing out loud at you.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:11:11 -0600, Dave Balderstone

But who do you think you are fooling. Certainly not someone who cut his teeth on the rough side of usenet over ten years ago.<g>
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:31:02 GMT, Robert

Well, one of you is. And one of you has established a richly deserved reputation for spouting troll-like nonsense. Which is which I'll leave as an exercise to the reader.

Now let me see if I've got this straight. . . Lee Valley, it is generally agreed, has a reputation for providing quality products and services. This is attested to by many of the regular posters to this group -- posters, please note who have contributed a great deal here. You, OTOH, have problems with Lee Valley and apparently the only time you come out from under your bridge is to take a shot at them -- often a cheap shot.
And anyone who gets tired of your juvenile, pointless tantrums and has the temerity to say so is somehow a 'thug' for Lee Valley.
Look, you obviously don't care about convincing anyone of anything. So, equally obviously, the only justification for your miserable existence in this NG is to satisfy some brat-like craving for an audience for your display of temper.
Fortunately that's what kill files are for.
--RC
"You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"
RC,
Please follow the Standard Advice.
Ignore, filter, help others to do the same.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:16:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Oh done. But I had to get that pair off my chest.
-_RC "You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"
And I apologize for not following my own advice.
;-)
djb
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:34:24 -0600, chaffing in his completely flooded extra large Depends poor Dave Blatterstone dribbles the following:

Like I told ya Dave, a complete lack of self control.<g>
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:13:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Not much chance of that.

Not quite. Lee Valley provides quality products and services at an exorbitant price to their Canadian customers in order to subsidize the lower prices they are required, by virtue of competition, to provide their American customers.

Not new, been here for over three years,on other newsgroups over ten years. Don't bother with a google search as I've posted under other names.

are
Please explain. I've been a Lee Valley customer longer than I've been a woodworker or participated in this group. I support Robin and if I'm a thug, Mr. Lee has never contacted me or asked for help. I like the company. I also feel you are making statements with no real knowledge of facts.
If you think I'm harshnow, just knock my beloved Craftsman tools.

All I have seen is personal attacks. No one has disputed my facts. Facts are Canadians pay more than Americans for items from a Canadian company. Fact two Lee Valley makes more profit from it's individual Canadian customers.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040801080504030802020006 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Robert wrote:

Well, I don't dispute your observation that the CAD prices often look out of line with USD prices. However, you claim that it's because either the Canadian market is not as competitive allowing a higher price, or that the company is out to scalp its Canadian customers.
I'll attach a previous message that suggests LV may be scalping no more than approx. 3% at the time the prices are set, which are well in advance of when we the customer sees them. Given that the CAD has in recent history been the loosing currency, I don't see that buffer as that big a malicious thing.
If I'd have known back in June that the CAD would appreciate so steeply over the next few months, I'd be a rich man. Fact is that nobody really knows with absolute certainty what exchange will be like.
(And we haven't begun to account for foreign goods that are imported and paid for in USD...)

See attached message. If you have data for previous years' (take the low angle block plane, just to serve as an example) USD/CAD pricing, let's analyze it.

To be determined from exercise above.
--------------040801080504030802020006 Content-Type: message/rfc822; name="Attached Message" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="Attached Message"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: Americans ARE getting a better deal from Lee Valley. Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:24:42 -0400 Organization: http://newsguy.com

yeahbutt. you are comparing todays's exchange rate to pricing that was set on an exchange rate that was probably set some time ago. Rob already told us that they set that in June, but that may be '03 in this case once you figure in the lead times for catalog production.
According to the Bank of Canada:
http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/exchange-look.htm
Today: 1.23 June 1, 2003 1.3685 June 1, 2004 1.3695
So basically we're talking about a 3% difference between their pricing and the exchange rate at the time the prices were set.
I just don't see where the there is a conpiracy to screw the locals here.
--------------040801080504030802020006--

Seems like YOU are the one that started that with your snide remarks.
Robert,
Your selective reading, quoting and maladjusted perception is boring me to tears.
You repeat that YOU were attacked?
What about the first message I see from you after your OP?
----------------------------------

Listen you silly little prick. This is a HEADSUP for a great deal on bar clamps. A common and accepted practice in this group. If you aren't interested then take your whining elsewhere. ----------------------------------
Damn, that looks like YOU attacking him to me. And you have continued. You also seem to feel you have to point out what an old time user of Use-net you are, as if it justifies your merciless twisting of the facts, and repeated vitriol.
I ran the original Australian Mail hub for Fido-net, and have been using pc coms since modems were invented - does that make it alright for me to act like a prat? Oh goody - I must commence to do so...
Basic point of your post should have been framed as a polite question (LV deserve that), and you would have got some good answers (and some smart arse ones as usual).
BUT - you then showed that your question was not an honest one, your only intention was to try and create facts to prove a case against LV and Mr Lee. You immediately lost all credibility, and further damaged your case by attributing facts and statements that simply are not supported. Even when you quote them back - your understanding of what is said, and the facts is severely warped, and lacks common sense.
IF you are able to compare LIKE with LIKE, AND see a discrepency - I am sure it will prove the standard business practices of pricing costs and margins is applied and then LV will shine thru as a provider of an exceptional total product, as that incorporates actual gadget, delivery, service pre and post sale etc.
I am NOT an LV thug either - have never done business with them in fact - but I can sure attest to one thing - out of tens of thousands of messages, yours are the ONLY ones I have seen that attribute some sinister or negative aspect to LV, and are in stark contrast to the many positive reports. I would almost suspect you are either unbalanced, or a competitor - or both.
However you are more likely a Troll, and I a fisherman.
Have a nice life. Mike Brisbane
--
Outgoing mail is pre-scanned by AVG
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:34:59 +1000, "Mike Richardson"

Outgoing mail is pre-scanned by AVG
"Mike Richardson" <> wrote in message ...

Mike, I finally get my saw on Wed! Picking it up from Leda (not a great deal $-wise, but I get a lot of advice and other help from the seller)
<http://www.europac.com.tw/01_Woodworking_Machinery/Sawing_Machines/Tilting_Arbor_Saw/03_tilting_arbor_saw.htm
How is that new saw of yours going?
cheers,
Greg

Um... Maybe you should go back on your meds, 'kay?
Rob Lee and Lee Valley get defended here because:
a) He's a great guy, willing to answer any question, demonstrably cares about the woodworking community, and;
b) We've found purchasing from Lee Valley to be an overwhelming positive experience both in terms of the value (quality/price equation) of their products and their absolutely superb customer service.
I may just stop by Princess Auto here in Saskatoon tomorrow and have a look at the clamps you promoted (while tagging on a gratuitious shot at LV) as they're only about 3 minutes away from the office, but I've seen the aluminum bar clamps in that price range at House of Tools (about 45 seconds away from the office) and put them back in the bin. They were crap. I suspect the ones at P.A. are probably from the same manufacturer.
Now, had I bought them on sale at $12, got them home and discovered they were crap I'd be SOL. No refunds on sale items.
However, if I purchased the aluminum bar clamps from Lee Valley and didn't like them/thought they were poor value I could:
a) Call Lee Valley and they'd happily refund all my money and pay for return shipping, or;
b) Post here and bitch and whine about the quality, call Robin Lee names, make unfair accusations and generally be a jerk and have Rob look up my order and post a message that he'd *already* refunded my money to my credit card and was sending a shipping carton prepaid so I could return them.
Get it?
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:10:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I'm surprised, I usually find Canadians to be much brighter than you. Maybe you were adopted.

LMAO!
And those are the last words of yours I shall ever read. Buh-bye.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:23:39 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Buh Bye Dave. Bake yourself a Saskatoon berry pie, it will make you feel better.<g>