60 INCH Aluminum bar clamps 11.99CDN

At Princess Auto.

Valley Price for 48" Clamp 42.95. That's quite a markup Robin. Princess Auto claims they are the identical product, just a ton cheaper. Is that true?

Reply to
Robert

Unlikely. I have bought cheap aluminum bar clamps that just rip out when you try to tighten them. Odds are these will also.

Reply to
toller

I'm confused; have you confused Lee Valley with Walmart? Damn, man, if you want to shop elsewhere, go for it, why you gotta pollute the ng with this?

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Listen you silly little prick. This is a HEADSUP for a great deal on bar clamps. A common and accepted practice in this group. If you aren't interested then take your whining elsewhere.

Reply to
Robert

TANSTAAFL

But many people think there is...

Retail Price V8 Commodore Current Model is $35,000 - I can get you one - no faults, full warranty, same car completely, but different brand for $11,999. See any thing that mite be wrong?

I await your abusive response.

Mike Who wishes there was a Lee Valley Australia

Reply to
Mike Richardson

No. This is another of your assaults on Lee Valley. I buy Lee Valley stuff because it's quality stuff. If you have a price problem, take your business elsewhere. We call it "The American Way" SH - Silly prick #2

Reply to
Slowhand

'Tis you that is the silly prick.

If you wanted to give a heads up on a good deal, fine. Post it, we can make up our minds.

Seems you have a hard-on with your tiny prick for Lee Valley. Most of us here happen to like dealing with Lee Valley and show respect for them, as well as many other vendors. If you had not made a derogatory remark, it would have been a heads up. You turned it into something else. Tsk, tsk, your mother would be ashamed to hear how you talk!

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

Whelp, one is 60" and one is 48", so I'd have to say "No".

Lessee... Oh, you're that guy trolling LV in the "Americans ... Lee Valley" thread. The guy who has never posted to Usenet under this name/e-mail address before now.

Never mind.

Reply to
Joe Wells

That's funny! (I'm not hungry!)

Robert should find a local Harbor Freight store - they seem to have the products he likes.

Note to Robin - You have a fine business. When are you opening a store in Los Angeles?

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Do you get a discount from Lee Valley if you can prove the shit on your nose came from Robin's ass?

Reply to
Robert

I've been told they are the SAME brand. Until Robin Lee proves otherwise your analogy is just so much ass gas.

Reply to
Robert

more crap.

plonk.....

Reply to
bridger

No, they're not the same product.

Lee Valley also has some inexpensive aluminum bar clamps (I saw them in a LV store yesterday), that are price competitive with Princess. Starting price is around $10 or so. And these look nicer than those at Princess Auto.

I think I have a pretty good idea of why people throw cans of food at you and spray paint on your clothing. Probably more to do with your personality than your actions.

Reply to
mp

I think it is up to you to prove to yourself that it is the same or of greater value or quality. If you want to buy the cheap one, by all means do. Robin has no obligation to prove anything to you with regard to a competitors product. Quit bitching already. You are making an ass out of yourself.

If Lee Valley has a product I want at a price I feel is reasonable or competitive, I buy it from them. Otherwise I look elsewhere. Bitching and moaning is not going to change anything. Get over it already.

Reply to
Al Reid

I find the replies to the original post a joke.

All Robert was saying is that there is a sale on and asked a question if any one knew if they were the same product. No where did I see him condemn LV for there products. All he did say that if they are the same product that there is quite a mark up.

Hell if I could sell a widget for $5 to some one and then sell the same widget for $20 to some one else because they were willing to pay that much. I sure as hell would be pushing the $20 widget now would you not? Further more if I bought the $20 widget and found out that I could have bought the same one for $5. If I had of shopped around I sure would have appreciated some one letting me know and not jumped down there through with insults.

I have not posted to this group for quite a while for just this reason being that of a gang mentality "if one person has something negative to say you all jump in with something negative".

I for one would like to thank Robert for the heads up and I will definitely check out Princess Auto's clamps to see if they are a good value for the money.

I do agree that LV has great products and great service but have found many of the very same products LV sells at far cheaper prices else wear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Jokes on you. Evidently you did not see anyof Robert's earlier posts regarding the cost differences between the US and CA for the same item. He has a hard-on for LV. That is his decision.

You also missed the intent of the derogatory comment about markup that he directed toRobin. He could has just stopped at posting the web page if he merely wanted to show a good deal on clamps.

It was a cheap shot. Maybe you don't agree, but who cares? Robert obviously has had a poor upbringing and should have had a better nanny.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

It was a headsup until you put in the gratuitous slam to Lee Valley.

With your recent posting record, even if you hadn't slammed LV explicitly, most would have considered it a slam anyway, and an undeserved slam at that.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Robin has given TWO reasons why Canadians are paying more than Americans.

Reason one: It what the market will bear. In other words Canadians are charged more because we are suckers willing to pay more.

Reason two: He needs to rip off Canadians to balance the loses he is taking from American customers.

He said BOTH of these things. No wonder Americans support him.

Reply to
Robert

No.

Try reading Fine Woodworking (it's a magazine - I doubt you've seen it). Last issue had a large head-to-head on different clamp brands.

Now for your "Princess Auto" clamps, they look awfully similar to ones I get here in the UK as "Silverline". I love these clamps, even though they cost me $25 from Screwfix. They're still pretty cheap, and they're lightweight. They're very badly made though - everything is sloppy, half the pin retainer clipss are missing, and they have the worst rolled threads I've ever seen. Still, it means I can afford a dozen "sash clamps" and they weigh little enough that I can use them all on one glue-up without crushing it.

The Lee Valley product is obviously different - I can see at least five differences from the ones I have, from the colour to the amount of slop and loss of vertical register.

So, if you want the Princess ones, go to it - you won't regret it. If you want something a little better for what is still a pretty low price, then look at the LV ones.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I also said Lee valley had great customer service, but Robin Lee snipped that from his reply to me. In my book at that moment he became an instant asshole. I liked his dad, we even had coffee once many moons ago when I worked for Eatons, but Robin is just a poor imitation of his old man.

Reply to
Robert