60' fallen pine

A large, seemingly healthy, 60' pine fell over this week due to a wind storm, just missing my deck. The tree is just over 2' in diameter. How can I use this much wood? logs? Chain saw party?

Lots of Knotty pine lumber. Or mediocre firewood. For good (straight pine) lumber you need forest grown pine with long, straight trunk with no low branches.

<clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message

Around here, we'd call it crummy firewood - only good for campfires.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

not even mediocre firewood, unless you enjoy having your chimney cleaned frequently.
jc

Call the turning set over to help dismember. Lumber it won't be if it held branches all the way down, but turnings and kindling you have in abundance.
Rent a shredder after limbing, and make sure you have long sleeves and throwaway gloves.
Shallow root systems do that a lot.
Camp fire wood...if you handle it at all be prepared to have your gloves and possibly your clothing ruined by the sap...lots and lots of sap after that's gone more sap lolol

Phisherman wrote:

Any idea of what kind of pine? One of the white pines would be useful for much if there is any length w/o large branches.
Don't say where you are, west of the MS pines are very commonly used as firewood (quite successfully, btw) as there isn't much hardwood.

Not sure the kind of pine (in east TN). I posted 3 pictures in A.B.P.W. Hopefully someone can identify it. A good portion of the bottom is without branches.

Kinda looks like a red pine. Makes ok lumber, but it's not one of the better trees for it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Phisherman wrote: ...

Sorry, my news server doesn't host binary groups...
If it wasn't a specimen planting, in E TN a goodly bet would be a yellow pine; if it was, could be quite a number of choices.
Phisherman wrote:

Find someone with a portable mill and cut it "through-and-through" in 6/4 and 8/4 slabs. All sorts of uses for nice slabs.
R.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:21:17 -0500, Rick

Sounds like possibly southern yellow pine - and lumber quality if not "clear"

White pine or yellow pine ???
Makes a BIG difference in which way to go.
Phisherman wrote:

Not sure. The needles are in pairs, small cones in groups. I need to do more research to ID this pine. Looking at various ways to cut some slabs to make chair seats, there's more wood here than I need.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:19:16 GMT, Pat Barber