60 deg cut on Mitre Saw

I am making a cubbyhouse for the kids, and would appreciate some help with cutting the birdsmouths out for the rafters.

Using my compund mitre-saw, I can easily cut the required 30 deg side of the birdsmouth, but I can't figure out how to make the 60 deg cut for the other side. Is there a trade-trick that I don't know about, or is this something that can't be done with the mitre saw?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott Forbes

Reply to
scott

Flip it and cut a 30 deg.

Reply to
Groggy

Cut a 30° slice of wood, place it flat against the fence then place the truss against that piece and make the cut. You will want to support the truss and clamp it down when making the cuts. I've built 3 sheds in the past two years using that method and it works fine.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

go to page 9 of:

will only show you how the author of this book set up a fence to cut acute angles. The book goes into detail - this will only show you what it takes to do it.

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
MHB