6" Jointer Continued - Grizzly 6Z Versus Yorkcraft

I read through all the replies to the other guys post about which 6" jointer to buy, and I have narrowed it down to these two.

Has anyone actually seen/used both and can compare them. (I know owners love both, but if you haven't seen both...)

The Grizzly is all lever, the Yorkcraft has two wheels and one lever on the infeed. Does this matter? The Grizzly claims to be 1" longer and 1" wider (thought they both claim 6

1/8" capacity) but the Yorkcraft is 6 pounds heavier. Hum.

And the Grizzly is $30 more; not enough to base a decision on, but something.

Reply to
Toller

Keep in mind that, while the G1882Z has levers, you can get exactly the same thing with handwheels in model G1882HW for the same price ($325). The Yorkcraft I've seen on the Wilke web site looks like it has levers, not handwheels

Evidently the Yorkcraft is a clone of the Delta JT360. I've spoken with a couple people who are not impressed with the Delta, though several folks have said they like their Yorkcraft. Both Grizzly models listed above have gotten lots of positive feedback.

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

I have a follow-up to my last message because I just called Wilke Machinery about shipping costs on the Yorkcraft. It depends on where you live, but here in Kansas it's a whopping $105 for shipping, compared with just $55 nationwide for any of the Grizzly jointers we've been discussing. That actually makes the Grizzly about $20 cheaper than the Yorkcraft.

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

I take it you prefer handwheels? I am too inexperienced to know the difference; why are handwheels better?

Reply to
Toller

Some people feel that it is easier to accurately adjust the outfeed table on a jointer with hand wheels. I have owned both and found no difference. When I moved up to my Delta DJ-20 I was really concerned because it had levers and my old jointer had hand wheels. It would have been a mistake to eliminate it because of the levers. I believe that you will be happy with either jointer on your list.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

Hi, one more thing to look in to, call both Yorkcraft and Grizzly and find out who has what, my Yorkcraft was on back order for more then a month.

Reply to
Tony

My Yorkcraft has a single lever on the infeed. It works fine. I've never seen the Grizzly.

Jim Kirby

Toller wrote:

Reply to
James T. Kirby