6" jointer choices

Page 1 of 2
Having given up on my brand-new baby delta jointer (JT160), I'm now looking for the next better thing, that won't break the bank. I've looked at the choices from the usual suspects and now I'm looking at the oddball choices. Anyone have any personal knowledge of any of these? Please chime in:
Bridgewood Model BW-6R 6" Jointer     http://tinyurl.com/38o2j
YORKCRAFT Model YC-6J 6" Jointer     http://tinyurl.com/3gxqb
Sunhill Model CT-60L 6" Jointer          http://tinyurl.com/4omr
I suspect that some of them are rebranded versions of others, like the 6" Jet, but I could be wrong.
I'm leaning towards the Sunhill, the extra long bed appeals to me, or else the Grizzley G1182HW     http://tinyurl.com/3d9he
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Geez, I have one on order! Why did you give up on it?

Not sure if it's defective or I am, but I can't seem to avoid a 1/16" gap when I edge joint 40" stock. I think there's a teeny tiny high-spot on the outfeed table and since it is not adjustable my choices are to grind, shim, or return and start fresh with a different/bigger one.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Have you tried to return it or get it serviced?
BTW, I was all set to order the Yorkcraft when Amazon had this on their Friday sale. For $149 I couldn't resist.

Not so far yet. Unfortunately, I tossed the box during the xmas cleanup so amazon might get picky with me and I may have to ebay it. (Or, if amazon does give me grief, maybe you'd like to sell me your box?) I was going to get it serviced, but I suspect that that may just open a whole 'nother can of worms, since it will require grinding or shiming to level the tables and I have not much confidence that it will be perfect. I may give it a try though, but it's a 45 minute drive over to the "local" delta warranty shop and I suspect he'll see the model I'm dragging in and say 'GTF out of here, that can't be leveled any better than the factory did it. We'll see how this snow storm that's hitting No. VA shapes up - I'm anxious to resolve the situation one way or the other.
BTW, I said it was a 1/16" gap and I meant 1/32", it's 1/16" when you try to put 2 edges together.

At that price it's def worth a try. I read the reviews on Amazon and it's kind of hit-and-miss, some say it's great and some that it sucks rocks. If it's 50-50, I just increased your odds of success.
Anonymoose wrote:

Delta has service centers around the country. Perhaps one is near you? Have you called customer service?-- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Not yet, think I may tomorrow though. The closest is about 2 hrs away - 2 hrs of traffic from hell (Wash DC and Baltimore). But, I suppose I should try them before sending it back. I have resigned myself to dumping it as of today, but who knows...
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Having given up on my brand-new baby delta jointer (JT160), I'm now looking <BR>&gt; for the next better thing, that won't break the bank.&nbsp; I've looked at the <BR>&gt; choices from the usual suspects and now I'm looking at the oddball choices.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Anyone have any personal knowledge of any of these?&nbsp; Please chime in:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bridgewood Model BW-6R 6" Jointer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://tinyurl.com/38o2j "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://tinyurl.com/38o2j </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; YORKCRAFT Model YC-6J 6" Jointer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://tinyurl.com/3gxqb "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://tinyurl.com/3gxqb </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; Sunhill Model CT-60L 6" Jointer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://tinyurl.com/4omr "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://tinyurl.com/4omr </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I suspect that some of them are rebranded versions of others, like the 6" <BR>&gt; Jet, but I could be wrong.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I'm leaning towards the Sunhill, the extra long bed appeals to me, or else <BR>&gt; the Grizzley G1182HW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://tinyurl.com/3d9he "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://tinyurl.com/3d9he </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>There have been a few threads in the past weeks about this exact topic.&nbsp; I believe that </FONT> <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>6" Jointer Continued - Grizzly 6Z Versus Yorkcraft 0n 1-23-04 has the information that you are looking for.</FONT></P> <P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</P> <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bob McBreen</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=

Ah, thanks. I had actually read that thread and apparently blanked it out...
Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote in

Found another one:
Star WJ-6 Wood Jointer 6"     http://www.starmachinery.com/WJ6.html
no picture (or price) there, but there is one (picture) on epinions.com                         http://tinyurl.com/2w54d
Anyone know of more (aside from Craftsman, Jet, etc.)?

Can I ask why Jet is not a choice? Is it price? I'm just curious, because I was considering one. I've had luck with their tablesaw and bandsaw for several years now.

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that they were not a choice, just that they're well known and I see reviews of them all the time - I was just looking for reviews of the ones I'd not heard of before: Star, Bridgewood, Yorkcraft, etc.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Taking a look at the Tool Guide issue of FWW, I was surprised by how similar all the reviewed jointers were. The Powermatic was in a class by itself (as were Craftsman and Woodtek, but for different reasons, ahem) but the others were very similar. The Yorkcraft appears to be the Delta 37-195, albeit without the high switch. Then there was the whole parcel of very similar looking machines branded Jet, General, Grizzly, and Ridgid. Each of these has specific features that are unique, but they all otherwise appear to be the same. Are they clones, or manufactured in the same shop? Is QC the same on all brands? I don't know.
FWIW, FWW chose the Yorkcraft as their budget buy. I like the longer fence on the Yorkcraft.
Hi, I've got the Yorkcraft. Sreems to be a good one, over a year old. Appears to be the same as the Delta jointer, it even names it and has a pic. of it in the manuel.
Tony

Almost got that one - can't beat the price. But, in the end I thought I might like the wheel adjustment over the lever and decided I'd bite the bullet now instead of regreting it later (as I am now with the Delta). Some have said that it doesn't make a difference though, so I hope I didn't just piss away $75 (the diff between the two). BTW, when I called, the sales guy said the price for the Bridgewood was $399, but he'd give it to me for the "old" sale price of $375...which is the price that is ON THE WEB PAGE CURRENTLY. OK, a small complaint...but I'M WATCHING!
Oh, and $88 to ship it 120 miles...sheesh - if there wasn't snow on the ground and sleet in the forecast, I'd go pick it up.
Jet and Powermatic are the same company, same 6" joiner. The powermatic has a longer bed.
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

Wilson wrote:

Jet has wheels, PM has levers. Possibly other differences. Motor is 1 HP on both though. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

The Powermatic 54A has handwheel outfeed table adjustment. The infeed table adjustment is a hybrid: lever-action for coarse adjustment, rotating-handle for fine adjustment (1 full turn = 1/16").
Cheers,
Lowell
On 01/27/2004 1:59 PM, in article obBRb.6844$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com, "Wilson"

What general part of the country do you live in. I have a Jet 6" brand new in box that's part of an estate sale.
Make me an offer.