6" jointer choices

Having given up on my brand-new baby delta jointer (JT160), I'm now looking for the next better thing, that won't break the bank. I've looked at the choices from the usual suspects and now I'm looking at the oddball choices. Anyone have any personal knowledge of any of these? Please chime in:

Bridgewood® Model BW-6R 6" Jointer

Model YC-6J 6" Jointer
Model CT-60L 6" Jointer
suspect that some of them are rebranded versions of others, like the 6" Jet, but I could be wrong.

I'm leaning towards the Sunhill, the extra long bed appeals to me, or else the Grizzley G1182HW

Anonymoose

Geez, I have one on order! Why did you give up on it?

Reply to
Toller

Anonymoose wrote in news:Xns947BAF22594C7Ihatespam@216.196.97.136:

Found another one:

Star WJ-6 Wood Jointer 6"

picture (or price) there, but there is one (picture) on epinions.com
know of more (aside from Craftsman, Jet, etc.)?

Reply to
Anonymoose

"Toller" wrote in news:9jXQb.10756$%N1.4343 @news01.roc.ny:

Not sure if it's defective or I am, but I can't seem to avoid a 1/16" gap when I edge joint 40" stock. I think there's a teeny tiny high-spot on the outfeed table and since it is not adjustable my choices are to grind, shim, or return and start fresh with a different/bigger one.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Hopefully I will be luckier! Have you tried to return it or get it serviced?

BTW, I was all set to order the Yorkcraft when Amazon had this on their Friday sale. For $149 I couldn't resist.

Reply to
Toller

"RWM" wrote in news:TfmdnU0hJImP3IndRVn snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Ah, thanks. I had actually read that thread and apparently blanked it out...

Reply to
Anonymoose

"Toller" wrote in news:GKXQb.10760$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Not so far yet. Unfortunately, I tossed the box during the xmas cleanup so amazon might get picky with me and I may have to ebay it. (Or, if amazon does give me grief, maybe you'd like to sell me your box?) I was going to get it serviced, but I suspect that that may just open a whole 'nother can of worms, since it will require grinding or shiming to level the tables and I have not much confidence that it will be perfect. I may give it a try though, but it's a 45 minute drive over to the "local" delta warranty shop and I suspect he'll see the model I'm dragging in and say 'GTF out of here, that can't be leveled any better than the factory did it. We'll see how this snow storm that's hitting No. VA shapes up - I'm anxious to resolve the situation one way or the other.

BTW, I said it was a 1/16" gap and I meant 1/32", it's 1/16" when you try to put 2 edges together.

At that price it's def worth a try. I read the reviews on Amazon and it's kind of hit-and-miss, some say it's great and some that it sucks rocks. If it's 50-50, I just increased your odds of success.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Delta has service centers around the country. Perhaps one is near you? Have you called customer service?-- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:xBZQb.12274$no2.11863 @newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

hrs of traffic from hell (Wash DC and Baltimore). But, I suppose I should try them before sending it back. I have resigned myself to dumping it as of today, but who knows...

Reply to
Anonymoose

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

Reply to
Toller

Can I ask why Jet is not a choice? Is it price? I'm just curious, because I was considering one. I've had luck with their tablesaw and bandsaw for several years now.

Reply to
Michael Ryan

all the reviewed jointers were. The Powermatic was in a class by itself (as were Craftsman and Woodtek, but for different reasons, ahem) but the others were very similar. The Yorkcraft appears to be the Delta 37-195, albeit without the high switch. Then there was the whole parcel of very similar looking machines branded Jet, General, Grizzly, and Ridgid. Each of these has specific features that are unique, but they all otherwise appear to be the same. Are they clones, or manufactured in the same shop? Is QC the same on all brands? I don't know.

FWIW, FWW chose the Yorkcraft as their budget buy. I like the longer fence on the Yorkcraft.

Reply to
<mslatter

"Michael Ryan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that they were not a choice, just that they're well known and I see reviews of them all the time - I was just looking for reviews of the ones I'd not heard of before: Star, Bridgewood, Yorkcraft, etc.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Hi, I've got the Yorkcraft. Sreems to be a good one, over a year old. Appears to be the same as the Delta jointer, it even names it and has a pic. of it in the manuel.

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote in news:9rfRb.62$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Almost got that one - can't beat the price. But, in the end I thought I might like the wheel adjustment over the lever and decided I'd bite the bullet now instead of regreting it later (as I am now with the Delta). Some have said that it doesn't make a difference though, so I hope I didn't just piss away $75 (the diff between the two). BTW, when I called, the sales guy said the price for the Bridgewood was $399, but he'd give it to me for the "old" sale price of $375...which is the price that is ON THE WEB PAGE CURRENTLY. OK, a small complaint...but I'M WATCHING!

Oh, and $88 to ship it 120 miles...sheesh - if there wasn't snow on the ground and sleet in the forecast, I'd go pick it up.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Jet and Powermatic are the same company, same 6" joiner. The powermatic has a longer bed.

Reply to
Wilson

Jet has wheels, PM has levers. Possibly other differences. Motor is 1 HP on both though. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:c7DRb.1469$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

The Powermatic 54A has handwheel outfeed table adjustment. The infeed table adjustment is a hybrid: lever-action for coarse adjustment, rotating-handle for fine adjustment (1 full turn = 1/16").

Cheers,

Lowell

Reply to
Lowell Kinzer

good tool, and the beds are as precise as my ability to measure.

Reply to
Nate Perkins