6/4 Black Walnut Source?

Several years back I came into a chunk of 6/4 Black Walnut roughly 75" long, with a width that varies between 18" to 20". My plan was to use it as a fireplace mantel when I finally settled down and bought a house.
Now I have the house I did some measuring and discovered if I take enough off the plank to make support brackets, it will be too short for the fireplace!
Does anyone know of a source for a bit of aged 6/4 Black Walnut (around 16" x 16" should do) in the Virginia/North Carolina area? East of the mountains would be a plus.
Len
These people will ship it to you: http://www.groffslumber.com /

On Mar 21, 6:53 am, "Combustis Maximus"

Maybe I keep missing it, but I've never seen 6/4 walnut in stock. It might not be a regular item. I asked them about 6/4 maple and they told me they only way I'd get it is with a 1000 bd ft order. 6/4 cherry is always available.
I can't say that Groff's specifically has 6/4 walnut in stock but it's on the price sheet with no minimum mentioned. They are not far from me and have quite a bit of material in stock. It's worth checking I guess. 6/4 hard maple is not on the price sheet. Soft and Tiger, yes, but not hard.
The usual disclaimers...I have no affiliation, etc. etc.... I just know that they are good people to deal with and seem to appreciate my paltry business.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:59:13 -0400, "Combustis Maximus"

You could set your browser to http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/index.html have a clean towel available.
For the drool!
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /

you:http://www.groffslumber.com /
stock. It

and they

6/4
Thanks! They've got exactly what I need, and it's on it's way.
Len
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:22:10 -0500, Len wrote:

Have you tried the Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville (N. of Burlington)?
http://www.hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html

Walnut
area?
Didn't even know about them. Thanks for the info.
Len
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:45:51 -0500, Len wrote:

It is a GREAT place. The "store" part is terribly misleading, it is a huge warehouse where you can walk around.
The crew is very nice, too.